She ate a chocolate bunny. 63 pounds. Sometime today. No she didn’t throw up. Daisy. She’s 5

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: She ate a chocolate bunny
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much does the dog weigh?
Customer: 63 pounds
JA: When was this? Has she thrown up since eating the chocolate?
Customer: sometime today. No she didn’t throw up
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Daisy. She’s 5
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Answered by DogDoc4U in 2 mins 1 month ago
imglogo
DogDoc4U
18+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman with 20+ years of experience and happy to assist you both today. Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!As veterinary experts we are unable to prescribe medication to a pet not personally examined by law. In doing so risks my veterinary license. I am unable to assist with telephone calls if requested per my state guidelines and this will lock the question to my responses so please do not request

What size bunny and was this milk chocolate?

Customer
7.0 oz or 200g Yes, milk chocolate

But likely was more than an hour after ingestion. Is she having any issues post ingestion?

Customer
it's been longer than an hour. No post issues noticeable at this time

With this ingestion, you may see symptoms which can include

Vomiting

GI Upset

Hyper Tension

Hyperactivity

Restlessness

Typically chocolate toxicity symptoms peak at 4-6 hours so if you pass this mark without symptoms then you should be just fine but taking a few precautions tonight:

- No further meals today to allow the intestinal tract to rest
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days
- Leash walks to help the chocolate pass more readily of >15 minutes
- Tomorrow bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if there is this symptom

If you see muscle tremors, vomiting is not subsiding, or hyper excitability then please consider a veterinary er because these can be issues with chocolate toxicity. But if you see gi upset only then this should pass within the next 24 hours

Customer
Currently she's just laying on her bed

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know who else I can assist you both today

Hopefully there will be no issues, but best to know what to monitor for and how to treat at home

Customer
Ok thank you.

You're welcome, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today or in the future. Simply create a new question with**Dr. Altman only**

Customer
Ok thank you Dr Altman. I can just reply to this text message in the future ?

Yes that is correct

Good evening, I wanted to check in on your pet after our chat yesterday. I would love an update when you are able. Thank you for visiting Justanswer!

Customer
Hi. She is doing much better. Thank you.

Great! Thanks for the update

Customer
Thank you so much for the advice
Customer
She's been very tired all day. But no blood in her stool and it was just very soft.

There is improvement so let's hope it will continue

Customer
for sure!

Best wishes to you both

Customer
Cheers
TO you as well
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DogDoc4U
logo
logo
logo
18+ years of experience
img
imglogo
DogDoc4U
18+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.