My dog has a loose stool; I believe he got into something and ate something he shouldn’t have but idk. He is 8 - 10

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog has a loose stool; I believe he got into something and ate something he shouldn’t have but idk
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much did the dog eat? Do you know his weight?
Customer: he is 8 - 10 pounds and I have no idea what he ate it
JA: When was this? Has he thrown up since then?
Customer: he is not going all the time or lethargic but I’m thinking it was an acorn or a juniper berry
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he is 6 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no i did change him from a pen to a crate so it might be stress
Answered by Lauren D. DVM in 19 mins 2 months ago
imglogo
Lauren D. DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi this is Dr. Lauren and I hope to help you with Chewie. When do you believe Chewie could have gotten into something?
Customer
I'm thinking over the weekend but I also wonder if he is upset that I had to crate him. He's not sickly acting but I did notice ever since I had to crate him. He's been doing this.
Customer
It changed texture from firm to soft like Monday or Tuesday but it's not runny

Diarrhea could have numerous causes unfortunately.

He is not vomiting at all correct?

Customer
Correct; no vomiting, no lethargy, he is his normal playful self
Customer
Nothing has changed but the consistency of his stool. Not to be graphic but it's a little like soft serve ice cream of that helps. It has shape but it's not like it's usual texture

Good! I would recommend starting by feeding Chewie a bland diet of boiled chicken breast and white rice. You can try this for the next 24-48 hours. If the stool improves, then continue until he has two consecutive days of normal stool

If the stools persist to be very loose or he is straining or blood is noted in the stool then I would have him evaluated by his veterinarian.

Customer
Ok, thank you
Customer
Great!

Please note, with bland sometimes they may have decreased bowel movements, but please go out every time he does so you can closely keep an eye on the stool and consistency. I hope he feels better soon!

Customer
Thank you

You're welcome

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Lauren D. DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
img
imglogo
Lauren D. DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.