She ate chocolate that was on the table About a large handful of Hershey kisses. She weighs 11 pounds. I was at work

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: She ate chocolate that was on the table About a large handful of Hershey kisses
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much of the chocolate did the dog eat? Do you know her weight?
Customer: She weighs 11 pounds
JA: When was this? Has she thrown up since then?
Customer: I was at work when this happened. So I am not sure when. No throw up, but just had some diarrhea
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Phoebe age 3
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that i can think of
Answered by Dr. Peter in 5 mins 2 months ago
imglogo
Dr. Peter
20+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****; I am sorry you have this problem with Phoebe; I understand how stressful this must be for you. I will do my best to help you today. But, first, I would like to ask you a few questions to be well-informed and give you the best advice. Please realize there will be a slight delay between messages. I will not abandon you or leave this conversation.
Any pre-existing medical conditions, or is Phoebe on any medication?

Hello. :) Are you there?

I can only give you a general answer without the information I asked for in my previous response, but I hope this helps you.

Chocolate toxicity in dogs depends on the amount consumed, the type of chocolate, and the dog's weight. In this case, I cannot calculate a toxic dose without additional information. Typically, we see symptoms during the first 4 hours. Symptoms requiring an ER vet visit are vomiting, hyperactivity, tremors, excessive panting, etc. If no symptoms are seen after 12 hours, it is unlikely to see any symptoms. This is what you can do for diarrhea:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium.

2- No food for 8-12 hours; water is okay. It is best to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, feed her boiled rice (75%) mixed with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is normal, then wean her back into the regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic; these friendly bacterias help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

Please get back to me with more details to help you further.

Dr. Peter

Customer
I apologize. I was expecting a notification
Customer
She is not on any medication and no preexisting conditions

No problem. How many hours since she ate chocolate?

Customer
I am not sure. I was at work and found the wrappers on the dog bed

Okay. What type of chocolate did Phoebe eat (dark, milk, etc.)?

Customer
Milk chocolate, around a big handful of kisses
She had diarrhea around 630. But didnt see any accidents in the house from before I got home

Thank you for that information. Does Phoebe have any other symptoms?

Customer
She is a very excitable part chihuahua, so it is hard to tell if she is "more" excited than usual

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me a moment to type your answer.

As I discussed above, chocolate toxicity in dogs depends on the amount consumed, the type of chocolate and the dog's weight. In this case, it is unlikely for a handful of milk chocolate kisses to be fatal to a 10 lbs Phoebe. As you have seen diarrhea is a possible outcome. I recommend keeping an eye on her. Symptoms requiring an ER vet visit are hyperactivity, tremors, excessive panting, etc. The hyperactivity appears as being restless, not playful hyperactivity.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter

Customer
Thank you

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter

Good morning. I hope I have given you a satisfactory answer. If you have any follow-up questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to assist you.

Dr. Peter

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer; please let me know if you need to clarify anything or have any additional questions. I am happy to help. If you'd like to ask me another question in the future, feel free to add me as a favorite Expert. You can do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction. Just Answer is a full-service experience. We have legal, medical, automotive, home repair experts, and even homework. Please don't hesitate to contact our experts with your family's questions.

Dr. Peter

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Peter
logo
logo
logo
20+ years of experience
img
imglogo
Dr. Peter
20+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.