78,586 satisfied customers
Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****; I am sorry you have this problem with Phoebe; I understand how stressful this must be for you. I will do my best to help you today. But, first, I would like to ask you a few questions to be well-informed and give you the best advice. Please realize there will be a slight delay between messages. I will not abandon you or leave this conversation.
Any pre-existing medical conditions, or is Phoebe on any medication?
I can only give you a general answer without the information I asked for in my previous response, but I hope this helps you.
Chocolate toxicity in dogs depends on the amount consumed, the type of chocolate, and the dog's weight. In this case, I cannot calculate a toxic dose without additional information. Typically, we see symptoms during the first 4 hours. Symptoms requiring an ER vet visit are vomiting, hyperactivity, tremors, excessive panting, etc. If no symptoms are seen after 12 hours, it is unlikely to see any symptoms. This is what you can do for diarrhea:
1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium.
2- No food for 8-12 hours; water is okay. It is best to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, feed her boiled rice (75%) mixed with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is normal, then wean her back into the regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic; these friendly bacterias help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.
Please get back to me with more details to help you further.
No problem. How many hours since she ate chocolate?
Okay. What type of chocolate did Phoebe eat (dark, milk, etc.)?
Thank you for that information. Does Phoebe have any other symptoms?
Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me a moment to type your answer.
As I discussed above, chocolate toxicity in dogs depends on the amount consumed, the type of chocolate and the dog's weight. In this case, it is unlikely for a handful of milk chocolate kisses to be fatal to a 10 lbs Phoebe. As you have seen diarrhea is a possible outcome. I recommend keeping an eye on her. Symptoms requiring an ER vet visit are hyperactivity, tremors, excessive panting, etc. The hyperactivity appears as being restless, not playful hyperactivity.
Please let me know if you have additional questions.
You're welcome. :)
Good morning. I hope I have given you a satisfactory answer. If you have any follow-up questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to assist you.
Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer; please let me know if you need to clarify anything or have any additional questions. I am happy to help. If you'd like to ask me another question in the future, feel free to add me as a favorite Expert. You can do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction. Just Answer is a full-service experience. We have legal, medical, automotive, home repair experts, and even homework. Please don't hesitate to contact our experts with your family's questions.
78,586 satisfied customers
31,131 satisfied customers