My dog won't put weight on her back right leg. It started Friday. Seemed to get better and more normal movement

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog won't put weight on her back right leg
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does anything look different with the dog's legs/feet? When did this start?
Customer: No. It started Friday. Seemed to get better and more normal movement yesterday and then today off and on
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chloe, 5
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: she had an advantage flea treatment on Thursday Customer: Chat is completed
Answered by paul brazzell in 2 mins 2 months ago
imglogo
paul brazzell
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello there. This is Dr.Paul Brazzell. I am sorry that you are having trouble with Chloe.

I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost best to help you. Please note that it may take a few minutes to see my reply to your posts. Discussing the case by phone allows me to be more efficient and accurate in assessing the problem. Now, let’s see if we can get this sorted out for you. Is there any history of trauma?

Customer
No. I left for work for 4 hours, when she left she was sitting in my tall laundry basket on my clothes. When I came home I noticed her limping and not putting weight on the back right foot. Wasn't sure if she hurt herself trying to jump out of the basket.

Thank you so much. What breed of dog is she? How heavy is she?

Customer
She's been able to jump up onto the bed or into the car since then, walking and even running normally but then a little today I noticed her not putting her leg on the ground. I put pressure on every spot of her to see if she would Yelp in pain but nothing
Customer
She's a 5 lb toy Pomeranian

Thank you so much.

Does she have any other medical problems? Is she taking any medications?

Customer
No and no. My boyfriend applied advantage flea treatment on her on Thursday

Thank you for that information. Please give me a few minutes to type my recommendations.

Customer
actually on second thought, last year she swallowed half an advil and was hospitalized for 6 days but doctors said no permanent damage was done to her liver or kidneys

Okay, I am back. Unfortunately, I do not think that we are dealing with a sprain or strain here. More likely, Chloe has injured her anterior cruciate ligament. This is located in the knee and stabilizes the tibia with the femur. It is a common injury (our three large breed dogs tore five of their six cruciate ligaments), and most times, they will carry their leg after the injury. Of course, there are other differentials, and I would recommend taking her in for an examination and possibly X-rays. I am so sorry to have to recommend this, but we want to err on the side of caution.

Paul

Customer
Ok thank you. Is there anything I can be doing for her in the meantime? If she's still jumping up onto the bed and not carrying her leg most of the time, do you still think this is the case?

I am happy to hear that, but if she is still NWB times we still want to have her checked. This could also be a patellar mechanism problem.

Customer
Ok I will have her checked this week. Should I apply ice or heat or anything?

I would keep very very quiet. Only take her out to go potty. I would not apply ice or heat since we do not know for sure what the problem is. I hope that makes sense.

Paul

Customer
Oh ok like not get her excited as to limit movement?

Correct. I would kennel her.

Customer
Oh wow ok

Just to be on the safe side.

Customer
Ok thank you. I'll try to get her in first thing in the morning

You are so very welcome. Please keep me apprised.

Please feel to reach out to me if you have any more questions regarding this problem or any future concerns. I am here to help!

And please let me know if I have not addressed any of your concerns. I will be happy to circle back and get you the information that you need.

Paul

Customer
Ok thank you

My pleasure!! Nice chatting with you.

Good morning.

It has been my pleasure to assist you. If you have any follow-up questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer
I went to see a vet yesterday and she's fine! Thank you!

Great news!!

Thank you so much for using Just Answer. I will be available here should you have more questions.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You’ll have the option to do that on your “My Questions” page if you choose to rate our interaction, or you can request me by name if you wish, again my name is DocPaul.

Just Answer is a full-service experience. We have Experts in legal, medical, automotive, home repair, and even homework. Please feel free to reach out to our experts with your family’s questions.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
paul brazzell
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
img
imglogo
paul brazzell
Pet Specialist
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.