He’s throwing up a lot. Just stomach acid. He’s a dog, foamy - no food. He didn’t eat dinner. Maybe. He eats everything.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: He’s throwing up a lot. Just stomach acid.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: He’s a dog
JA: Does the vomit look liquidy or foamy? Is there food in it?
Customer: foamy - no food. He didn’t eat dinner.
JA: Could he have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: Maybe. He eats everything.
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Shadow - he’s about to be one in a week
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Answered by Denise Nelson in 1 hour 2 months ago
imglogo
Denise Nelson
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi - Doc Nelson here with JA! I have been a vet for over 30 years. I'm very sorry you have not received an answer yet! Please be patient with me as I type up my replies as I don't type very fast!

I'm sorry Shadow isn't doing well! It sounds like he has an upset stomach.

You could try giving Shadow some Pepcid (Generic name is Famotidine) to help settle his stomach. Pepcid is a human antacid type medication you can get over-the-counter at any drug or grocery store. You can give 2.5 mg of Pepcid per 10 pounds of body weight twice daily, so for example, if your dog weighs 20 pounds, you would give 1/2 tablet of a 10 mg  Pepcid twice daily. 

Several hours after his first dose of Pepcid, make him a 50/50 mix of cooked white rice and boiled skinless white chicken with all the fats and juices drained off. Feed small amounts every few hours initially, and if no vomiting then you can gradually increase the amount fed and the length of time between feedings. 

If no vomiting for 24-48 hours then you can gradually start mixing his regular food in with the chicken and rice, and then gradually wean him back off the rice mix. Once Shadow is eating his regular food you can discontinue the Pepcid. 

I'm sorry I missed you! If Shadow still won't eat, if the vomiting persists, or if he becomes extremely lethargic, then you need to bring him into a local vet for an exam, assessment, and appropriate treatment, but hopefully Shadow will be feeling better soon!

Customer
He finally stopped throwing up around 3:30 am. When we woke up this morning he was back to normal shadow behavior. I fell asleep before I saw these messages, but should I stick to the rice diet tonight?

Sorry I could not respond sooner. Yes, I'd stay with the chicken and rice for at least 24 hours because his digestive system is probably still tender and irritated. If no further vomiting then start gradually transitioning him back to his regular food. I'm so glad to hear Shadow is doing better for you!

Customer
Thank you! He ate his rice with no issues for dinner. Hoping for better sleep for all of us tonight.

You're very welcome, and I hope Shadow continues to do well for you - I think he's going to be just fine!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Denise Nelson
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Denise Nelson
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.