My dogs and puppies have ringworm. what should i be doing to treat it. A week ago. and no i haven’t noticed them licking

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my dogs and puppies have ringworm. what should i be doing to treat it
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the ringworm? Has the puppy been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: a week ago. and no i haven’t noticed them licking the spots
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: mae
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Answered by BeverlyC1016 in 7 mins 2 months ago
imglogo
BeverlyC1016
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi, this is Dr Beverly Chevallier, and you can get anti-fungal shampoo for your puppies and dogs at Tractor Supply or PetSmart.

Ringworm is a very very contagious fungal infection of the skin and it is difficult to control. It causes hairloss in patches and is very itchy and scaly. It is very contagious to people and other animals and is very hard to get rid of.

Your veterinarian can possibly diagnose it using a black light to glow it. They will have medications to treat it if they do diagnose it.

I would advise using an anti-fungal shampoo on all the dogs and cats and people in the household every 3 days for 4 treatments. You will need to wash all the bedding in bleach water and clean up all the dishes they eat out of. You can put Tinactin (for athletes foot) on any apparent lesions, but it is very important to bathe them in anti-fungal shampoo because you need to treat the entire dog.

Customer
If i bathe them in antifungal shampoo and topical spray do i need still need to take them to the vet for oral medication?

It depends on how severe the infection is.  The shampoo should be enough to treat them in most cases.

Customer
how do i know when the infection is severe?

Can you send a picture of the puppies?

It's always better to take them to the vet just to be sure.

Customer
i actually can't at the moment but i have a one year old dog who has a patch on her face that's from her snout to right underneath her eyes and then i have a litter of 4 puppies who contracted it from her and each of the puppies have just one spot on them that are about half an inch big

How long has the grown dog had the patch?

You probably ought to take them to the vet.  It might not be ringworm.  It could be mange or something else.

Customer
she has only had her patch for about a week and from the first day i noticed it i had been applying an antifungal spray twice a day but i was starting to wonder if they needed oral medication

They surely might.  Ringworm is tough to get rid of.

Customer
we suspected it was ringworm because i got a ringworm spot on my arm where she rested her head on me and i treated mine with lotrimin and it went away
Customer
can the puppies take oral medication? they are only 4 weeks old

Oh, I see.

Yes, they might need oral medication, but the shampoo really does work well, and it's safe for puppies.

The vet might not want to treat the puppies orally if it's not necessary.

Customer
okay. so do you think it would be okay if i try to shampoo for a week or two and then if it's not healing, take them to a vet?
Customer
also do you have any specific brand of shampoo that would be best for me?

I think that is a sensible plan.

Miconazole shampoo is what I have at my clinic.

Customer
okay i will do that. thank you

You are very welcome.

Please keep me updated with your puppies and dogs, and I hope I have answered your questions. Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Do you have any additional questions I can help you with?

If I can ever help you with any of your animals, please just text me back here or add me to your Favorite Expert list and the question will come directly to me. I will get the message much faster. I will help you any time I can.

Thank you,

Dr Beverly Chevallier

(BeverlyC1016)

Customer
no i don't, you wear very clear and helpful and i will do that thank you

You are very welcome.  It takes some time, but you will clean them up.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
BeverlyC1016
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
BeverlyC1016
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.