16 lb dog ingested 160 mgs of acetominophen 20 mins ago do I need to take him to emergency? It was a children's chewable

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: 16 lb dog ingested 160 mgs of acetominophen 20 mins ago do I need to take him to emergency?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has he thrown up since ingesting the acetaminophen?
Customer: no. it was a children's chewable tablet that he chewed through the blister pack
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tux, 8 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: he's acting normally for now.
Answered by BeverlyC1016 in 1 min 2 months ago
imglogo
BeverlyC1016
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

HI, this is Dr Beverly Chevallier, and I am a veterinarian for JustAnswer and I will try to help you with Tux eating the acetaminophen.

I certainly understand your concern.

I have been a practicing mixed animal veterinarian for 39 years in NW Arkansas. I practice Western and Eastern Veterinary Medicine.

Where do you live and what is the weather like there? That could be important. (And I’m very curious to know where you live and what your weather is like there, too…)

Unfortunately, we are unable to prescribe medications on this site, but we can offer alternatives to prescription products and we can help you find them in the stores near you.

This is not a full service veterinary service and we do not do video calls, so we are not able to physically examine your animal, but you can send pictures and videos and they are immensely helpful with our diagnoses and will greatly aid in the accurate advice we give to you about your animal.

Just Answer will ask you if you want a phone call. You are under no obligation to accept that. I will be glad to talk to you on the phone if you prefer, but I will also be glad to keep chatting via text. It is just that many times a phone call can cover alot of information in a short period of time and it can be very helpful.

Your question does not have a time stamp on it and I apologize ahead of time if your question has not been answered in a timely manner.

The more information I have, the more likely I will be able to assist you.

Thank you.

Dr Beverly Chevallier

Do you have any 3% Hydrogen Peroxide?  Give Tux 16ml Hydrogen Peroxide (that is just over one Tablespoon) and he should throw up within 10 minutes.

Pour it down his throat or mix it with a little milk and let him drink it.

Customer
Hello, We are in southern CA. its 60ish degrees here

He needs to throw that back up.

Customer
i have hydrogen peroxide. It was a childrens chewable tablet he bit through the blister pack

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) toxicity may develop within 1-4 hours of ingestion. These dogs will experience a progressive depression, and they may develop rapid breathing. They may experience abdominal pain and nausea, causing drooling. Their gums and mucous membranes around the eyes might turn bluish from cyanosis. Some dogs will develop fluid buildup in the face, paws, and forelimbs several hours after ingesting Tylenol. Their urine may become dark or even chocolate-colored from the presence of blood or methemoglobin.

Occasionally, the first sign of acetaminophen toxicity is death.

Induction of vomiting within 4-6 hours of ingestion is suggested, followed by administration of activated charcoal immediately thereafter.

It's better to make him throw up.

Customer
we got it down, mostly

Oh, good deal.  If he doesn't throw up within 6 minutes, repeat the peroxide.

Customer
he just vomited

Great.  I'm glad.

Customer
husband went to get activated charcoal at cvs which is 5 mins away

That will be good just to make sure.

Customer
he vomited a whole lot of food so hopefully thats a buffer?

Please keep me updated with Tux, and I hope I have answered your questions. Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Do you have any additional questions I can help you with?

If I can ever help you with any of your animals, please just text me back here or add me to your Favorite Expert list and the question will come directly to me. I will get the message much faster. I will help you any time I can.

Thank you,

Dr Beverly Chevallier

(BeverlyC1016)

Customer
What the dosage for the charcoal?
Customer
thank you so much for your help
Customer
whats hedosage for the charcoal?
Customer
thank you so much for your help

I would give him one capsule every 4 hours for 3 times.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
BeverlyC1016
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
BeverlyC1016
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.