Huskies can get up when it does it looses it balance. Dog a huskie. Yesterday she started salivating wasn't her self.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Huskies can get up when it does it looses it balance
JA: What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog a huskie
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the Husky's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: Yesterday she started salivating wasn't her self
JA: Does the Husky drool all the time or just sometimes?
Customer: Just sometimes
JA: Does everything look normal with the Husky's teeth?
Customer: Her teeth look fine but she is drulling
JA: And what's the Husky's name and age?
Customer: SOFIE 9 or 10 years
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Sofie is of balance drulling she is not 9 years she is 8 years old she had a ear infection before.
Answered by BeverlyC1016 in 18 mins 2 months ago
imglogo
BeverlyC1016
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

HI, this is Dr Beverly Chevallier, and I am a veterinarian for JustAnswer and I will try to help you with Sophie and her sudden loss of balance.

I certainly understand your concern.

I have been a practicing mixed animal veterinarian for 39 years in NW Arkansas. I practice Western and Eastern Veterinary Medicine.

Where do you live and what is the weather like there? That could be important. (And I’m very curious to know where you live and what your weather is like there, too…)

Unfortunately, we are unable to prescribe medications on this site, but we can offer alternatives to prescription products and we can help you find them in the stores near you.

This is not a full service veterinary service and we do not do video calls, so we are not able to physically examine your animal, but you can send pictures and videos and they are immensely helpful with our diagnoses and will greatly aid in the accurate advice we give to you about your animal.

Just Answer will ask you if you want a phone call. You are under no obligation to accept that. I will be glad to talk to you on the phone if you prefer, but I will also be glad to keep chatting via text. It is just that many times a phone call can cover alot of information in a short period of time and it can be very helpful.

Your question does not have a time stamp on it and I apologize ahead of time if your question has not been answered in a timely manner.

The more information I have, the more likely I will be able to assist you.

Thank you.

Dr Beverly Chevallier

If you look closely, are her eyes jerking?

Customer
No it doesn't seem that her eyes are jerking.

Ok.

Do her ears appear infected?

Customer
Not visually, but she did have a prior ear infection

I would say she either has an inner ear infection or Idiopathic Vestibular Disease.

I will send you some information about that disorder that might be helpful.  But their eyes usually jerk when they have that.

Idiopathic Vestibular Syndrome is a condition of adult dogs and cats that has a sudden onset and the dog is unable to retain its balance and rolls or falls to one side. It happens out of nowhere and is very alarming to see. The dog or cat suddenly loses balance and the animal can’t stand or walk properly. Upon closer inspection, the eyes are jerking and the animal is very frightened. The cause is unknown (idiopathic). Sometimes there will be some nausea because of the dizziness. If this is the condition, the animal always gets better within 48 hours and is usually completely back to normal in 2 weeks. Sometimes there is a residual head tilt, but it is never fatal. It just looks very alarming and it’s scary to the dog or cat.

Anything that messes up their vestibular apparatus in their inner ear can cause this type of vertigo.

You might take her in to her vet this morning just to be sure.

Also, could she have gotten into any medications or drugs that could cause this?

Customer
She has a slight tremble when she breaths out.
Customer
Her vet thought it was the olianders we have in the yard she rubs her self in them
Customer
We still have some ear drops from her last ear infection should we give to her?

It only takes one oleander leaf to kill a dog.  It makes their heart stop.  It does not affect their balance.

No, if it's an inner ear infection she will need systemic antibiotics.  The drops probably won't help.

She's probably very frightened from the sudden disorientation.  That could be why she is breathing like that.

Customer
The drops name is ***** ***** suspention
Customer
If she has the idiopathic disorder do we just let it come out of it? Or do we give her something for it?
Customer
The drops name is*****

If she has Vestibular Syndrome, she will be way better in 48 hours.

The drops won't hurt anything, but they probably won't do any good either.  It won't hurt to try them.

Customer
She drank a lot of water and she has stopped drulling

Oh, wow.  That sounds good.

Customer
We are trying to put the ear drops into ear canal but she won't let us. Any suggestions on how to get it done?

No.  You will just have to hold her still to do this.

Customer
Ok

Please keep me updated, and I hope I have answered your questions. Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Do you have any additional questions I can help you with?

If I can ever help you with any of your animals, please just text me back here or add me to your Favorite Expert list and the question will come directly to me. I will get the message much faster. I will help you any time I can.

Thank you,

Dr Beverly Chevallier

(BeverlyC1016)

Customer
Ok we seemed to put med in her year. She is also walking around she is not loosing her balance at much. Thank you.

Oh, great!!

You are welcome.

Customer
Thanks!
Customer
Hello Beverly, you mentioned systemic antibiotics for an inner ear infection earlier, do you have any recommendations on what to buy? The antibiotic drops that were prescribed at her last vet visit were posatex otic suspension.

You won't be able to buy the antibiotics OTC. Your vet will need to prescribe them.

Customer
Is there anything that compares to prescribed antibiotics that I can buy over the counter?

No, you will need to take Sophie to the vet to get antibiotics.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
BeverlyC1016
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
BeverlyC1016
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.