My dog ate 1 grape. 8 pounds. 5 months and is his name. No that’s it

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog ate 1 grape
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much does the dog weigh?
Customer: 8 pounds
JA: When was this? Has the dog thrown up since then?
Customer: No
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: 5 months and cooper is his name
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No that’s it
Answered by BeverlyC1016 in 7 mins 2 months ago
imglogo
BeverlyC1016
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

HI, this is Dr Beverly Chevallier, and I am a veterinarian for JustAnswer and I will try to help you with Cooper eating the grape.

I certainly understand your concern.

I have been a practicing mixed animal veterinarian for 39 years in NW Arkansas. I practice Western and Eastern Veterinary Medicine.

Where do you live and what is the weather like there? That could be important. (And I’m very curious to know where you live and what your weather is like there, too…)

Unfortunately, we are unable to prescribe medications on this site, but we can offer alternatives to prescription products and we can help you find them in the stores near you.

This is not a full service veterinary service and we do not do video calls, so we are not able to physically examine your animal, but you can send pictures and videos and they are immensely helpful with our diagnoses and will greatly aid in the accurate advice we give to you about your animal.

Just Answer will ask you if you want a phone call. You are under no obligation to accept that. I will be glad to talk to you on the phone if you prefer, but I will also be glad to keep chatting via text. It is just that many times a phone call can cover alot of information in a short period of time and it can be very helpful.

Your question does not have a time stamp on it and I apologize ahead of time if your question has not been answered in a timely manner.

The more information I have, the more likely I will be able to assist you.

Thank you.

Dr Beverly Chevallier

How long ago did Cooper eat the grape?

Customer
Like 15 mins ago.

Do you have any 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to make him throw up?  He can have 8ml Hydrogen Peroxide and he will throw up within 10 minutes.

You can pour it down his throat or you can mix it in a little milk for him to drink.

Customer
Okay we will do that. Thank you. But just in case he doesn't throw up, is there any symptoms that we have to check

If he doesn't throw up within 6 minutes, repeat the peroxide.

Although the toxic substance within grapes and raisins is unknown, these fruits can cause kidney failure in dogs and cats. Until more information is known about the toxic substance, it is best to avoid feeding grapes and raisins to dogs. Not all dogs and cats are affected, and it does not seem to be dose related. If an animal is sensitive to whatever the toxic substance is, one grape or raisin can prove fatal. Most dogs and cats do fine eating grapes and raisins, but some are very sensitive to the toxic effects and may begin exhibiting symptoms within minutes of ingestion. If your animal hasn’t shown any discomfort or signs of kidney failure within a few hours of eating the raisins or grapes, then they will most likely not be adversely affected. Just keep them under observation for a day or two after the ingestion and if you see anything that worries you, take them to the vet for bloodwork and evaluation.

Customer
Oh actually we found the grape on the floor just now. Do we still have to worry?

Oh, Ha!  No, if it was just one grape and you found it, all should be alright.

Customer
Okay. Thank you so much for your help Dr. Beverly :)

You are very welcome.

If I can ever help you with any of your animals, please just text me back here or add me to your Favorite Expert list and the question will come directly to me. I will get the message much faster. I will help you any time I can.

Thank you,

Dr Beverly Chevallier

(BeverlyC1016)

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
BeverlyC1016
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
BeverlyC1016
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.