I fed my 30 + pound Border Collie a small amount of stew, then realized it had a few raisins in it. How worried should I

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I fed my 30 + pound Border Collie a small amount of stew, then realized it had a few raisins in it. How worried should I be? The amount of stew was only about 2 tablespoons but it may have had 3 to 5 raisins
JA: The Vet will be able to answer your question, plus any follow-ups you may have. What's the Border Collie's name and age?
Customer: Jack and he is aboit 18 months.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so.
Answered by BeverlyC1016 in 6 mins 2 months ago
imglogo
BeverlyC1016
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

HI, this is Dr Beverly Chevallier, and I am a veterinarian for JustAnswer and I will try to help you with Jack eating the raisins.

I certainly understand your concern.

I have been a practicing mixed animal veterinarian for 39 years in NW Arkansas. I practice Western and Eastern Veterinary Medicine.

Where do you live and what is the weather like there? That could be important. (And I’m very curious to know where you live and what your weather is like there, too…)

Unfortunately, we are unable to prescribe medications on this site, but we can offer alternatives to prescription products and we can help you find them in the stores near you.

This is not a full service veterinary service and we do not do video calls, so we are not able to physically examine your animal, but you can send pictures and videos and they are immensely helpful with our diagnoses and will greatly aid in the accurate advice we give to you about your animal.

Just Answer will ask you if you want a phone call. You are under no obligation to accept that. I will be glad to talk to you on the phone if you prefer, but I will also be glad to keep chatting via text. It is just that many times a phone call can cover alot of information in a short period of time and it can be very helpful.

Your question does not have a time stamp on it and I apologize ahead of time if your question has not been answered in a timely manner.

The more information I have, the more likely I will be able to assist you.

Thank you.

Dr Beverly Chevallier

How long ago did Jack eat the raisins?

Customer
jack ate them aboit 40 minites ago and is not showing any signs of distress. He ate a full meal at about 10 a.m. I live in Montana and the weatunter is terrible at the moment as we are under winter storm watch. i am 90 miles drom a vet clinic but do habe peroxide on hand if I nedd to drench him

Do you have any 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to make him throw up?  How much does Jack weigh?

Oh, I see that he is 30#.  Give him 30ml Hydrogen Peroxide.  That is 2 Tablespoons.

You can pour it down his throat or mix it in a little milk for him to drink.

Although the toxic substance within grapes and raisins is unknown, these fruits can cause kidney failure in dogs and cats. Until more information is known about the toxic substance, it is best to avoid feeding grapes and raisins to dogs. Not all dogs and cats are affected, and it does not seem to be dose related. If an animal is sensitive to whatever the toxic substance is, one grape or raisin can prove fatal. Most dogs and cats do fine eating grapes and raisins, but some are very sensitive to the toxic effects and may begin exhibiting symptoms within minutes of ingestion. If your animal hasn’t shown any discomfort or signs of kidney failure within a few hours of eating the raisins or grapes, then they will most likely not be adversely affected. Just keep them under observation for a day or two after the ingestion and if you see anything that worries you, take them to the vet for bloodwork and evaluation.

Customer
okay, will do. I just checked and it is 3%
Customer
thank you!

You are very welcome.

Please keep me updated with Jack, and I hope I have answered your questions. Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Do you have any additional questions I can help you with?

If I can ever help you with any of your animals, please just text me back here or add me to your Favorite Expert list and the question will come directly to me. I will get the message much faster. I will help you any time I can.

Thank you,

Dr Beverly Chevallier

(BeverlyC1016)

Customer
Thank You Beverly. I am super careful about how I feed my dogs and hardly ever have them table scraps. That will teach me.

Ha.  Yes, it just takes one time.  It is scary.

Customer
He threw up and is crated in my bedroom now. I will keep a close eye on him.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
BeverlyC1016
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
BeverlyC1016
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.