He tore his back paw nail off. I have not seen a vet, it’s been about 20 minutes. He was bleeding a little then stopped.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: He tore his back paw nail off
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did the dog hurt himself? Have you seen a vet yet?
Customer: i have not seen a vet, it’s been about 20 minutes
JA: Did he bleed at all from the tear?
Customer: he was bleeding a little then stopped
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bud, he is 2
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no ma’am
Answered by BeverlyC1016 in 5 mins 2 months ago
imglogo
BeverlyC1016
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Large Animal Veterinary, Small Animal Veterinary

HI, this is Dr Beverly Chevallier, and I am a veterinarian for JustAnswer and I will try to help you with Bud tearing his toenail off.

I certainly understand your concern.

I have been a practicing mixed animal veterinarian for 39 years in NW Arkansas. I practice Western and Eastern Veterinary Medicine.

Where do you live and what is the weather like there? That could be important. (And I’m very curious to know where you live and what your weather is like there, too…)

Unfortunately, we are unable to prescribe medications on this site, but we can offer alternatives to prescription products and we can help you find them in the stores near you.

This is not a full service veterinary service and we do not do video calls, so we are not able to physically examine your animal, but you can send pictures and videos and they are immensely helpful with our diagnoses and will greatly aid in the accurate advice we give to you about your animal.

Just Answer will ask you if you want a phone call. You are under no obligation to accept that. I will be glad to talk to you on the phone if you prefer, but I will also be glad to keep chatting via text. It is just that many times a phone call can cover alot of information in a short period of time and it can be very helpful.

Your question does not have a time stamp on it and I apologize ahead of time if your question has not been answered in a timely manner.

The more information I have, the more likely I will be able to assist you.

Thank you.

Dr Beverly Chevallier

Can you send a picture of Bud's foot?

Customer
Customer attachment 11/27/2022 6:08:34 PM
Customer
we live in DuPont Ga, it's been clear today and rained yesterday.

Oh, ouch!  That looks painful.

Is it wiggly when you touch it?  Or is it still on there pretty good?

Customer
it's wiggly when we touch it

I hate to say it, but it needs to come on off.

If you took him to the vet, they would just jerk it off with pliers.  That is nothing you cannot do. It just takes some nerve.

Grab it firmly and just yank it off is what I would tell any of my clients to do.

Customer
we do we need to do after that?

Put Neosporin on it and loosely wrap it.  Change the bandage twice a day, and by day 3 it should be fine to leave off.

Customer
thank you so much

You are very welcome.  This is a very common problem and he will be alright.

Clip his other toenails down a little so they don't get caught on things and tear.  Just trim the sharp part off.

Please keep me updated with Bud, and I hope I have answered your questions. Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Do you have any additional questions I can help you with?

If I can ever help you with any of your animals, please just text me back here or add me to your Favorite Expert list and the question will come directly to me. I will get the message much faster. I will help you any time I can.

Thank you,

Dr Beverly Chevallier

(BeverlyC1016)

Customer
I will definitely add you and I will keep you updated on Bud, we truly appreciate all the help!!

You are very welcome.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
BeverlyC1016
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
BeverlyC1016
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.