We are moving cross country (driving after moving van). We have two dogs (6lbs and 10lbs). We know from past experience

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We are moving cross country (driving after moving van). We have two dogs (6lbs and 10lbs). We know from past experience that this can be a horrible experience. Izzy will vomit several times a day and Lola has a lot anxiety. We survived the Malibu fires and they both have had anxiety since the evacutation. Any suggestions for our trip?
Answered by Michelle Brownstein in 4 mins 11 months ago
imglogo
Michelle Brownstein
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, I’m Dr. ***** *****stein. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 36 years of practice. I am not your pet’s veterinarian and cannot examine your pet, so I cannot legally provide you with any specific veterinary medical advice such as diagnosis or prescribing medication. However, I can generally speak to help you understand resources that may help you, advise you to seek medical attention, and provide support. I’m so sorry you are having problems with your dog. You must be very worried about your precious baby. I am sorry if you had to wait for help, but I just logged on.

Please allow me a few minutes to review your case.

Are they currently taking anything for anxiety?

Customer
They do not take any medication at all

What are their ages and breeds?

Customer
Shih Tzus. One is 1 year old and the other is 13. Neither have has had a health problem other than the anxiety.

Have they ever been given Benadryl?

Customer
No

I suggest Benadryl 1 mg per pound every 12 hours.  This should cause drowsiness and help reduce vomiting.  In addition, I would administer famotidine to the dog that vomits.

Does this plan seem reasonable?

Customer
Famotidine? Is that something I can buy at Petco?

Famotidine is Pecid that you can find at any drug store.

Do you have any more questions or concerns for me today? I want to ensure that nothing requires clarification.

Customer
I should try the Benedryl in a trial before we leave?

You can to see how drowsy they get with the medication.

Customer
Ok Thank you for your help

Is there anything else that I can help you with this today?

Customer
No, Thank you

It’s been my pleasure to provide assistance for you, Izzy and Lola today. I would appreciate being kept up today on their condition and would be happy to assist you should you have more questions or concerns.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favorite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish, again my name is Dr. ***** *****stein. You are welcome to specifically request me if you have any future veterinary questions. Just click here https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drmtbrowns/?rpt=3800 to mark me as your favorite veterinarian. If you would like to ask me a question in the future, just type @***** *****stein and you’ll be able to select my username to tag me in the question. Positive feedback is always greatly appreciated.

Just Answer offers assistance in multiple areas in addition to veterinary, such as medical, the law, computers, and cars, just to name a few categories. If you have any questions in those areas, you can use JustAnswer to obtain help from those Experts. Thank you for using our site and for trusting me to answer your question.

Hug them for me.

Dr.***** *****stein

How are Izzy and Lola doing? 

Please feel free to reach out to me in the future. Take care, Dr. Brownstein

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Michelle Brownstein
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
img
imglogo
Michelle Brownstein
Pet Specialist
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.