My 60 lb labrador ate a 200 mg advil. Should I run him to the emergency room? 1 hour ago. No he hasn't thrown up. His

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My 60 lb labrador ate a 200 mg advil. Should I run him to the emergency room?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When was this? Has he thrown up since eating the Advil?
Customer: 1 hour ago
JA: And what's the Labrador's name and age?
Customer: No he hasn't thrown up. His name is ***** ***** he's 8
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not
Answered by Paul M. DVM in 3 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Paul M. DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello this is Dr. Paul.  I have over 10 years of clinical experience working on dogs and cats in general practice and emergency medicine situations. It is my pleasure to assist you today with Hank.  one moment while I review your question

Fortunately at this dose, if it was just one tablet, this is not enough to cause a toxicity that leads to renal failure. You do not need to induce vomiting or go to the emergency room

Go ahead and feed him like normal.  On the off chance that he gets an upset stomach from this medication, then treat with the following, but I would not expect it to occur.

1) Do not feed any solid foods for the next 24 hours, but continue to provide plenty of water.  2) After 24 hours, if we are not having any vomiting, you can feed a small amount of bland boiled chicken and rice.  3) Begin giving a probiotic for pets such as fortiflora which you can get from your local pet store or Amazon.

If you notice any persistent vomiting for over 12 hours, lethargy, or blood in the stool then i would go to a veterinarian immediately, but I think this is unlikely to occur in this case

He should be just fine though :)

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Paul M. DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Paul M. DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.