My dog is taking chemo for lymphoma. She was neutropenic and couldn’t do this round, and it was low enough she needed

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog is taking chemo for lymphoma. She was neutropenic and couldn’t do this round, and it was low enough she needed antibiotics. Her vet oncologist said she was calling I’m an Rx-not clav mox- which made me wonder why?? She’s taking that during her first episode (this is a recurrence). Does it have anything to do with her kidneys, which are now in early stages of disease? Or has she taking it too much??
Answered by Paul M. DVM in 4 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Paul M. DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello this is Dr. Paul and I have experience managing chemotherapy lymphoma cases

was this her first dose of the chemotherapy drug that caused the neutropenia?

Customer
She finished the full round of chop. In April and e realized her bun and creatinine was slightly elevated during a routine oncology blood check in June i think
Customer
We found out it had come back in October
Customer
it was the 2nd one that caused neutropenia

ok.  IT is unlikely to be due to the elevated BUN/Creatinine and more likely due to just all the previous rounds of the drug she has had before that still accumulates in the bone marrow.

definitely give the clavamox

Customer
There’s no contraindications for it with kidney problems or anything?

CHOP is an awesome protocol, kudos to you for doing this for your pet.   with this neutropenia the vet may change the dose or switch to a different drug for next time.  definitely important to have the CBC rechecked again.   clavamox is very safe to give despite having high BUN/Crea

Customer
Oh ok. Thanks so much!!
Customer
We love her a lot. Just as long as she seems like we can keep her comfortable ❤️ thanks again !!

you're welcome

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Paul M. DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Paul M. DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.