My dog, Ruffie, has been diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism. Our vet said that surgery is the treatment for it.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello.My name is ***** ***** my dog, Ruffie, has been diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism. Our vet said that surgery is the treatment for it. Unfortunately, we cannot afford the cost of surgery, which is around 10k. Is there another way to possibly reduce the amount of calcium in his blood? Perhaps, medication or more exercise. My dog is an older basset hound (12 years) and we love him but we just cannot afford the procedure. I hope you can give me some options. Thank you for your time.
Answered by Paul M. DVM in 3 mins 12 months ago
imglogo
Paul M. DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello this is Dr. Paul.  Unfortunately the only way to cure this is through surgery or ablation of the parathyroid gland (ablation may cost more than surgery).   Giving Prednisone (a steroid) is a way to decrease the amount of calcium in his blood stream but has other side effects that may be worse than the actual high calcium

Customer
Thank you for answer. Unfortunately, we just cannot afford it. He's 12 years old and he's been acting as normal as usual. He's been eating well, drinking water, going out for walks, sleeping...so we were thinking about letting him live his life as normal as it's been and if it gets really bad, we may have to put him to sleep. Thank you again.

that is a very fair thing to do.  if he is still normal, i would not put him on prednisone or other meds at this time

Customer
i just didn't want to people to accuse me for animal cruelty by not doing the surgery. Thank you for your help and for listening.

of course.  not doing a 10k surgery is never a grounds to think as someone as cruel.  you are doing all that you can which is fantastic.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Paul M. DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Paul M. DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.