My neighbor's dog has never been alone. He lived with an older woman who recently passed away. The dog now lives with

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My neighbor's dog has never been alone. He lived with an older woman who recently passed away. The dog now lives with the woman's daughter, but cries and whines the whole time when she goes out or goes to work. Any suggestions?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Aside from this whining, have you noticed other behavioral changes in the dog? Does he appear to be in pain?
Customer: No, he seems fine when I see him out for walks. And he seems to be glad to see other people and dogs when he encounters them.
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Petey is a male dog about eight years old.20 or 25 pounds.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That's about all I know.
Answered by Dr. Jen, DVM in 9 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Jen, DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi this is Dr. Jen :-) that is really sad. Poor Petey. It is really hard for dogs who have never been alone to certainly be in a situation where they are alone for extended periods of time. If it would be possible to find an appropriate doggy daycare or someone who would be willing to keep Petey at least while she is at work that would be ideal. If that isn’t a realistic possibility talking to Petey’s veterinarian about medication such as Prozac or something like trazodone for when he has to be alone might not be a bad idea. The last option would be to consider getting him a friend if he likes other dogs so that he is not completely alone when his new owner leaves.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions :-)

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Jen, DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Jen, DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.