My dog has a draining ear and my usual vet cannot see her for at least 3 days. 2 year old Jack Russell terrier woke up

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog has a draining ear and my usual vet cannot see her for at least 3 days
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the dog's situation?
Customer: 2 year old Jack Russell terrier woke up shaking head vigorously and repetitively yesterday AM. Checked her ears and the right ear pinna is inflamed and she has yellow white discharge in her ear canal. Does not smell terrible. She continues to shake her head and scratch at her ear. Normal appetite and activity. Fully vaccinated and lives with 2 other dogs who are not ill
JA: In addition to the shaking, have you noticed any coughing, limping, or drooling?
Customer: Nope
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Rosie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Answered by Mike McIntyre in 10 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Mike McIntyre
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.
To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?
Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of?
Will it be possible to send some photos of the affected area?
Customer
Dr. Mike,
Rosie is a two year old Jack Russell spayed female, previously stray, who has been in our home for 18 months. She is up-to-date on shots. She is healthy. She has no change in her appetite, behavior, urination or defecation. She simply has a draining ear for 24 hours.I have been a dog owner for over 40 years and I've had two other dogs with draining ears in past. Our regular vet just moved to a new clinic and the practice she works at previously cannot see her for at least three more days.BLUF
I am a physician and I'm just looking for a prescription for her ears if possible as I am clinic myself right now and she's at home
The following is a discussion on ears. The ear canal is in the shape of an "L", which can allow for the accumulation of moist and warm debris, like wax. Upon this debris the opportunistic yeast and bacteria that normally live in the ear canal can start to grow and proliferate to higher levels. One way to assist with this is to flush the ears twice a day to begin with. An ear flush with chlorhexidine and many times additional miconozole or ketoconazole can be looked for. This will assist in the removal of the debris and the chlorhexidine will also kill the yeast and the bacteria in the ear canal. Then, once the ears become cleaner, one can decrease and use on an as needed basis. You may need to do from time to time to keep the ears healthy. The addition of miconozole or ketoconazole will also help to control yeast better. The following are some examples you can look for:This product can be purchased over the counter at pet stores or online like on Amazon. Here are some examples and each type of product. Each example works by a different process, that is why they work best together.
1. Thomas Labs Micochlor Plus Ear Flush contains Chlorhexidine and miconozole to aid against yeast and bacteria2. Zymox -H ( has hydrocortisone) to assist with itch and inflammation. This can assist in addition to help with itch and inflammation.Most flushes just get the material out and do not kill the yeast and bacteria. This also kills yeast and bacteria too. The Zymox H has hydrocortisone in it to help with itch and inflammation.Diphenhydramine (which is the active ingredient in Benadryl) can be dosed at 1 mg/pound body weight every 8 hours. This may help some itch and inflammation.When I found this chlorhexidine based ear flush 20 years ago while practicing in the lake region of Minnesota It decreased my repeat ear infections by over 90%. As the ears are prone anatomically for infections too. Proper and effective flushes are most beneficial too.
Even if using medicated drops on the ears it is most beneficial to ensure able to keep cleaning them out and to address bacteria, yeast and inflammation. The chlorhexidine addresses bacteria and yeast, The miconazole or ketoconazole assist with yeast, hydrocortisone addresses itch and inflammation. Only the attending veterinarian is able to prescribe medications accordingly to state prescription laws. However the above is also used in clinic, helps to prevent and also is available OTC.
Customer
Thank you
Appreciate your help
You are more than welcome. We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Rosie today. I wish Rosie a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Mike McIntyre
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Mike McIntyre
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.