She is a Great Dane weighing about 129 lbs. she tore up a package of Trident citrus flavored gum. It was not a full

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: She is a Great Dane weighing about 129 lbs. she tore up a package of Trident citrus flavored gum. It was not a full package and I have no idea is she ate any gum or not. She seemed fine this morning. Should I still be worried?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has she thrown up since eating the gum?
Customer: No. Shebate a full breakfast this morning and seemed like normal.
JA: And what's the Great Dane's name and age?
Customer: Willow and she is 3.5 years.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No. Her breath didn’t smell like orange and fed her a small bit before bed to prevent an insulin drop
Answered by Scott Perry in 13 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Scott Perry
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** and I am happy to help you with your question. My job here is to determine whether or not diagnostic tests need to be run or if we can manage things at home. I will do my best to sort things out for you and give you my professional advice based on the history and signs.

Customer
Ok

I am happy to help you with this question. I understand how important an answer is to your question, so I will work on this for you until it is resolved. Do you know approximately how many pieces of gum were in the package prior to Willow getting to it?

Customer
No. It could have been empty. I found packaging but no sign of the individual wrappings. 7 maybe

Thank you. I will assume there to be 7 to 10 pieces. Do you happen to know what flavor? Was it strawberry or something else?

Customer
Citrus or orange
Customer
It was not a whole pack. I believe there are 14 pieces to a pack.

This will be OK regarding a toxicity concern. The toxic dose is more than 4 grams of xylitol, which would require her to swallow more than 20 pieces. This is the lowest toxic dose, so she at least hast to swallow 20 pieces to reach a toxic amount. Therefore, the amount she swallowed is not toxic and will not cause organ injury. This is not an emergency and no immediate treatments are required. It is recommended to monitor for signs of vomiting and nausea such as excessive lip licking, drooling, or multiple attempts to swallow. Nausea is usually self-limiting and does not typically require treatment, but you may give an over-the-counter antacid such as 20 to 40 mg of famotidine (i.e. Pepcid AC) or omeprazole (i.e. Prilosec) if needed. If no signs are seen after 6 to 8 hours, then no further monitoring is necessary.

Customer
Thank you. I am glad she is a big good girl.

Yes, her size definitely helps in this situation.

You are most welcome. I hope I have given you a satisfactory answer. If you have any follow up questions, please reply here and I will be happy to assist you.

This is Dr. Perry and I just wanted to check in to see if you have any follow up questions. Please let me know if you do and I will do my best to help.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Scott Perry
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Scott Perry
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.