I have a 5 year old Min Pin. He has been totally fine and normal. Last night I gave him a few of the dried fried noodles

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a 5 year old Min Pin. He has been totally fine and normal. Last night I gave him a few of the dried fried noodles that chinese restaurants give with their soups. This is nothing out of the ordinary since he loves crackers and we'll give him non salty ones (once in a blue moon). He enjoyed it and acted normal and played. He got a hold of a crumbled empty bag of crab rangoon that I left on the table (my cat tapped it til it fell). My BF took it from him before he could rip it up. He suddenly had a sneeze attack, since the attack he's been acting lethargic and sometimes shivers, especially when he sees we're trying to comfort him. He keeps his head down. He seems to be trying his best to act like himself but he seems to be in some sort of pain. We tried to look in his mouth for a bad tooth but he yelped. When I tried to pick him up (by grabbing under his arm pits like a baby) he yelped. Usually he would just growl and be playful. I did give him 1 pill of Dog aspirin, it seemed to help a bit. But he doesn't want to jump on the couch or bed. Is interested in food but plays with it and guards it. Will eat a treat. Poop and pee is normal. If it helps, my BF mentioned that he seemed a little more affectionate than usual yesterday but to us thats normal because he's had days like that before. We're concered because we've never seen him like this before. He's injured his legs and had a limp but still acted like himself. Any advice?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much of the crab did the dog have? Do you know his weight?
Customer: He did not eat crab. The bag was empty. I want to say he's about 12 - 13 pounds
JA: Has he thrown up since this happened?
Customer: No
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Thor
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of
Answered by Dr. Jen, DVM in 6 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Jen, DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi this is Dr. Jenn :-) while it is hard to tell for sure without examining Thor I have a sneaking suspicion that he may have injured his neck (cervical spine) during his sneeze attack. If you hold a treat and try to get him to follow it up,down,  and side to side is there a hesitancy to lift his head up?

Customer
He's not wanting to look up. I gently tried lifting his head by holding his chin on my hand and he didn't yelp but he did begin to shiver. I observed him this morning and he would stand over his food, shivered a bit and kind of went side ways and eventually laid down

This certainly does sound like a neck issue to me. Typically what happens is they get a pinching of the disc in between the vertebrae. My recommendation would be if you have a local veterinarian to take him in so that he can get the proper pain control. Aspirin by itself would be OK in a pinch but not the best. We typically also prescribe a pain medication like tramadol and a muscle relaxer like methocarbamol along with a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory.

He may be more willing to eat and drink if you actually bring the food and water up to him so that he does not have to bend his neck down to reach it.

Customer
Thanks so much Dr. We are going to observe him today and tonight, if he doesnt improve we will definitely take him

That works. Just give me a minute to calculate the correct aspirin dosage for you just to make sure that we are giving him the correct amount in the meantime.

While a full 81 mg aspirin is technically within his dosage range it is a bit higher than I typically like to give. If you are able to cut the tablets such that you could give him 3/4 of a tablet of an 81 mg aspirin that would be best. It can be given every 12 hours.

Customer
Perfect! Thank you! I feel better that it may not be anything too serious.

You’re welcome!

Customer
I have one mor question. Would it help if I get him one of those cushion collars?
Customer
Like the comfy alternative to a cone?

Definitely not. If anything it would probably irritate his sore neck even more.

Customer
Ok, I'm so glad I asked. So for not the aspirin and rest?

Aspirin and rest!

Customer
Got it! Thank you!

You’re welcome :-)

Customer
Good morning Dr. I wanted to follow up and let you know that Thor is way better! He rested all day and I elevated his bowl. He finally ate and he is more mobile with his neck. Thank you so much!

Great to hear!! You’re very welcome :-)

Customer
GM Dr. Yesterday afternoon he barely wanted to walk and was trembling. My BF had to pick him up in the middle of his walk. After I gave him the aspirin and dinner he finally seemed better and walked normal and seemed to be ok. This morning he woke up fine but then gradually started acting like he's in pain again. I gave him his aspirin with breakfast. Is it normal for him to have a set back as the dog aspirin wears off?

It is. Make sure you are keeping him as still as possible when he feels ok.

Customer
Hello. So I’m not sure if he’s improving or the same. At least once a day he’ll have the trembles and keeps walking with his head down and can’t really find a comfortable position. This will last about 30 mins until he finally falls asleep for a nap. He’ll wake up fine. Usually will happen before bed, in the morning or when I get home from work. Once a day. Other than the once a day trembles He seems to be himself just a tad lethargic
Customer
Honestly it’s been hard to keep him still. We never Crate trained him because we don’t like it. But we have been able to stop him from jumping on the bed. However sometimes he gets sneaky and jumps on the couch

Hi there. I think honestly with as long as this has gone on for it’s time for a vet visit. They may even want to do some x-rays at this point. Try and hold off on the aspirin until you can get him in as it will affect what medications they are able to put him on.

Customer
Hello Dr. I have an update. I took him to the vet as advised and they did an X-ray. Per the x ray everything looks normal as far as the neck. They found a small infection beginning at the bottom of his lungs and his heart is mildly enlarged. They sent him home with pain meds and antibiotics. The pain meds was for 4 days and it helped and his neck. 3 days after the pain meds ran out he was in pain again so this time they gave me a 10 day supply. I’ve only given him 2 since I got the refill so that it doesn’t hurt his kidneys. His neck is way better, however, the night before last I noticed that his 2 back legs are in pain. He walks with both back legs somewhat stiff, and he’ll put more pressure on one than the other. When I press around his hip area he tends to warn me to stop. Is this normal considering what he’s gone through?
Customer
He’s hasn’t hurt himself as far as I’m aware of. I’ve been keeping him secluded and unable to jump

I wouldn’t say that it’s normal given his young age. Unfortunately often an mri is needed to see spinal issues

:-/ do you live in an area where tick borne disease such a Lyme occurs?

Customer
I’m in Miami, FL
Customer
His hair is so short and we’re constantly rubbing him. We’ve never noticed a tick on him. And he’s never had fleas

Ok good. Poor guy. The back leg stiffness could be from him compensating for the neck pain.

Customer
Overall he’s totally normal. He’s eating and drinking water and his urine and poop are normal too. Acting normal as well. It’s just his back legs. I can’t tell there’s some type of discomfort. Not limping. Do you think I should keep making him rest? How long should I wait before I take him back to see a Dr
Customer
Would exercise help? Or rest?

Rest for sure. Short potty walks. I would give it a few days to resolve before taking him back since he’s normal otherwise.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Jen, DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Jen, DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.