Puppy chewed electrical cord. He didnt yelp or bark but i saw the light flash. It was a lamp that is connected to an

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Puppy chewed electrical cord. He didnt yelp or bark but i saw the light flash. It was a lamp that is connected to an extensiom that was on but turned off. Cant find burn marks but am worried for complications
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much did the puppy chew? Do you know his weight?
Customer: A little hes 43 lbs
JA: When was this? Has he thrown up since then?
Customer: just right now he has not thrown up
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: arlo
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No thats all
Answered by Dr. Jen, DVM in 3 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Jen, DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi this is Dr. Jen :-) I am glad to hear that Arlo is acting OK right now. Chances are he will be fine! I understand your worry about complications. Most times these guys end up doing very well. I do think it will be wise and give you some peace of mind to call your vet when they open this morning to see if they could get him in for a check up. Sometimes I do also like to do chest x-rays on guys as sometimes temporary pulmonary Edema otherwise known as fluid in the lungs can result from electrocution. How many hours until your regular vet opens?

Customer
It opens in 5 hours
Customer
Im just very worried hes totally fine but i woke up to the light going off it burst as soon as he chewed it and i had no idea

I would say it is OK to wait that long as long as he continues to act normal. If he starts to pant excessively or cough or seem unsettled I would try and find a local ER to take him to. Chances are that you will be able to wait for five hours with him acting completely normal.

Customer
Ok thank you and does pulmonary edema occur pretty fast after a shock or is it a slow build up?

It tends to take a few hours. Even if he is acting completely normal when your vet opens I think it’s wise to have him checked over if for nothing more than your peace of mind!

Customer
Thank you very much!

You’re welcome :-) Feel free to message me back here if anything changes in the meantime.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Jen, DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Jen, DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.