My roommate's dog ate (I think) a Kind bar and a chocolate-dipped biscotti. She's a cattle dog/pit mix, about 60-65 lbs.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My roommate's dog ate (I think) a Kind bar and a chocolate-dipped biscotti. She's a cattle dog/pit bull mix, about 60-65 lbs.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much does the Bascottie weigh?
Customer: 60-65 lbs
JA: When was this? Has she thrown up since eating the chocolate?
Customer: I don't know when it was, I would guess within the last hour. She has not thrown up.
JA: And what's the Bascottie's name and age?
Customer: Lol she's a cattle dog/pit bull/mutt. Her name is***** think she's 3-5 years old?
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No :)
Answered by Dr Scott Nimmo in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** have more than thirty years of experience in the veterinary field. I’m happy to help with your question today. But please bear with me if I need to ask you some clarifying questions first. Thank you!

Customer
Sure! Thanks. :)

Was the Kind Bar coated with milk chocolate rather than dark chocolate?

Customer
I'm not sure whether it had chocolate or not; I can only find two pieces of the wrapper. Looks like she ate a chocolate-dipped biscotti though, and that was dipped in dark chocolate.

Got it thanks, ***** ***** by, I am typing up your answer right now.

My aim is to get an initial answer back to you within the next ten minutes.

Customer
I think I just found the bar online based on the wrapper color. I think it was the extra dark chocolate nuts and sea salt flavor.
Customer
Thank you!

I am sorry to hear about Zoe's problem, I know that you must be very concerned. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly for you.
Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Zoe very much, in fact, there are no special measures you need to take other than just keeping an eye on things. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than Zoe ate today before you would see any signs of toxicity. But let's talk things over in more depth ...
You see the rule of thumb which I apply is that with dark chocolate { Which is way more toxic than milk chocolate } mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.3 ounces per pound of the dog's weight body is ingested. Severe signs occur when 1 ounce per pound of bodyweight is swallowed. If you estimate Zoe's weight as being in the region of 60 pounds then you can see that your roommate's dog would have to swallow 18 ounces { More than one pound! } of pure dark chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur.

Clearly, the amount of chocolate involved today is going to be very minimal by comparison, so no worries as far as chocolate toxicity goes. And the other ingredients both the Kind Bar and biscotti are likely to be non-toxic to dogs.
That said some dogs might perhaps suffer a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhea, this can happen when a dog suddenly eats any sort of unaccustomed rich human food. However, should this occur it is likely to be very minor and in any case, it should soon pass on its own.
I am telling you the following just for your information as Zoe ate so little you do need to do anything and need not be too concerned.
The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors, and fits. Of course, you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.
Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.
Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this to check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject: https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/chocolate-toxicity-in-dogs/
But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Zoe's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.
Regards,
Have I answered your question to your satisfaction? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Thank you for using our site.

Customer
Awesome. That's very helpful, thanks! Have a great night.

No problem, I am very glad to be advising you.

Kindest regards,

Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Zoe is getting on?
Regards,

Thank you for visiting JustAnswer, I hope you are happy with our service. But please let me know if you still need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions related to your current issue - I am always happy to help.
Kindest regards,

Customer
Zoe's just fine, thanks for your help! :)

Thanks so much for the update, I am so glad that Zoe came through this OK.

Kindest regards,

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.