I think my dog could have distemper. I have treated him in the past with amoxicillin liquid with amazing results. He is

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi, I think my dog could have distemper. I have treated him in the past with amoxicillin liquid with amazing results. He is 13years old. He has a runny eye and a dry hack like cough. Sounds a little raspy. He is eating drinking and going to the bathroom well.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How long has distemper been a concern for the dog?
Customer: He had an episode about a year and a half ago he got real sick, my friend who was a pharmaceutical told me to give him liquid amoxicillin. He was almost dead from throwing up and diarrhea. It brought him completely back to life. I have little income and cannot afford a veterinarian. But I love him.
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Baby Pup
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No that’s it
Answered by DrTracyR in 27 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
DrTracyR
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi, my name is***** and I'm here to help

Has Baby Pup been vaccinated for Distemper?

It sounds like he has a cold - can you get some Robitussin CF (has to be CF)? How much does Baby Pup weigh?

Customer
No
Customer
He weighs around 30 lbs

No, you can't buy cough syrup?

Customer
Don’t want to talk on phone ok

That's fine - we can just keep typing here

Can you go to Walmart and buy cough syrup?

Customer
No he has not been vaccinated, and yes I can buy cough syrup he weigs 30 lbs
Customer
Hi
Customer
I have been giving him chest all homeopathic human cough medicine

I recommend the Robitussin CF and give Baby Pup 1/2 a child's dose every 4 hours - that should help his cough a lot. Keep giving the amoxicillin as well. Put warm compresses on his eyes 2-3 times a day to help the runny eyes. Sound ok?

Customer
Are you still there
Customer
I don’t have any amoxicillin.

Yes, I'm still here

Customer
I need a prescription.

Can you get some amoxicillin?

Customer
I need a prescription for the amoxicillin.

We can not authorize prescriptions, sorry, it's illegal for us to do that.

I can only recommend OTC treatment

Customer
Sorry thought that’s what this service included.

No, vets have to examine the pet in person to authorize a prescription.

Customer
Can you get amoxicillin without a prescription?

Customer
Ok, thanks

You can also give Baby Pup an 81 mg Aspirin twice daily which should also help him feel better

Customer
Ok I will

You're welcome good luck. I really don't think Baby Pup has distemper, I think it's just a viral cold

Customer
Thanks I am so worried, he is my best friend. Thanks so much

I totally understand, I feel the same way about my pets. Take good care

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DrTracyR
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
DrTracyR
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.