My dog is shivering and won't eat now. She's been on a regimen of antibiotics and antihistamines trying to find out why

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog is shivering and won't eat now. She's been on a regimen of antibiotics and antihistamines trying to find out why she has sores all over her body.
But this not eating is new.
Answered by DrTracyR in 14 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
DrTracyR
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi, my name is***** and I'm here to help

Customer
hi

Did the not wanting to eat start after she started taking the medications?

Customer
we thought her food was maybe causing a problem so we switched to chicken and hamburger she stopped eating that then we switched to other foods to try and get her to eat something and take her medicine. and today she will only eat peanut butter and barely any of that.

What's her name?

Customer
Blondie

Thank you, ***** ***** has been taking those medications for awhile now - they can't be the reason that she's feeling poorly?

Customer
she started taking the medication 4 weeks ago because of all the sores on her body if you look at the picture above they're covered all over her several trips to the vet they did blood work and she had high liver enzymes and high white blood cells

Yes, I saw the photo, thank you that helps.

Has Blondie vomited or had diarrhea?

Customer
the sores are looking a lot better it's just the shivering and her not wanting to eat has been consistent
Customer
she had one episode of really dark colored diarrhea and a couple with dark brown Rusty soft types.

Ok, I understand, did you mix any veggies in with the chicken or hamburger when you offered that to her?

Customer
no.

The liver breaks down the protein that we eat and if she had high liver enzymes, feeding her just meat, or just protein, may have made her feel bad. Is she drinking water?

Customer
alot.
Customer
she's not excessively thirsty.

Ok, do you have any Pepto or Mylanta?

Customer
we were thinking of getting some probiotics for digestive tract..... to help with her immune system.

Great idea, but wait to start the probiotics until she's finished with the antibiotics. Do you have a syringe or turkey baster to give the Pepto?

Customer
how much should we give her.

How much does Blondie weigh?

Customer
60 lbs
Customer
shivering decreases with sleep.

I would give her 5 ccs of Pepto tonight and in the am - hold off on trying to get her to eat right now. FYI the Pepto will turn her stool black - absolutely normal. I think she's shivering because she has colic

Customer
okay we'll try it out what's the longest she should go without food

If the shivering stops, offer food tomorrow @ dinner. Does she like fish? I can give you an easy recipe if you'd like?

Customer
sure.

Make 50:50ish fish and veggies - mix 1# white fish (people usually buy a 10# ***** of pollock if their dog likes the food as it's pretty cheap) add 1/2 small yam or sweet potato and 1# ***** beans - simmer all of that together in a @ 1/2 cup chicken broth - add 1/4 tsp Turmeric and 1/4 tsp ground ginger. Let that cool for a bit and add @ 1/4 c 100% canned pumpkin. Feed small amounts, @ 1 cup, 4-6 times daily. If all goes well, she can have 2-2 1/2 cups 3 times daily until she has a recheck exam. Does that make sense?

Fish is very easy to digest and doesn't over work the liver

Ok, I hope that all makes sense and that Blondie starts eating and likes the new diet. Good luck and take care!

Customer
Thank you. very much.

You're welcome, take care

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DrTracyR
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
DrTracyR
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.