My dog weighs about 24 lbs, ate a piece of a natrol melatonin chewable about 1.5mg. It has xylitol in. Should I take him

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog weighs about 24 lbs, ate a piece of a natrol melatonin chewable about 1.5mg. It has xylitol in. Should I take him to vet?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When was this? Has he thrown up since eating the Melatonin?
Customer: About 30 minutes ago. And, no vomiting.
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rowdy, 1 yr 2mths
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He ate some sugar that I spilled also. He is very fast on the clean up.
Answered by H Sutthill DVM in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
H Sutthill DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi there, I'm Dr. Helen

Customer
Hi, I'm Cydnie.

Does it say how much xylitol is in the pill?  The 5 mg have 250 mg xylitol

Customer
No, it just lists it first as other ingredients.
Customer
I had broken the 5mg in half and about a half of the other piece broke off. He only got half of a little more than a quarter of the tablet.

Okay, so the most he got was 250 mg- and he weighs about 10 kg.  I think he will be okay, however, because I'm making an assumption over how much is in the tablet, I would have him checked by a veterinarian just to be on the safe side.  They will check his blood sugar to be sure that he isn't low- that's how xylitol works.

Customer
Can I give him sugar water to counter if he show signs before we can take him in?

You can also call poison control at 1(###) ###-####  They will know for sure how much xylitol is in that formulation.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
H Sutthill DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
H Sutthill DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.