She is a new puppy I have had for about three days and she won't eat. She has diarrhea. She is really lethargic. Aisha.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: She is a new puppy I have had for about three days and she won't eat. She has diarrhea. She is really lethargic
JA: A lack of appetite can seem worrying. The Expert will know how to help. Does the puppy seem to be in any pain?
Customer: No
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Aisha
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of
Answered by Dr. Rachel in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Rachel
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, my name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian since 2007. I'm sorry to hear that Aisha is lethargic, not eating, and has diarrhea. How old is she, and has she had any vaccines?

Customer
She was born 8/19/21 she has had her first vaccinations yes

Okay, so she is about 9 weeks old and has received one set of vaccines. Do you know when she was vaccinated? Has she been dewormed?

What kind of dog is she?

Customer
Shiba Inu

Has she been this way since you got her or did these signs start more recently?

Customer
Customer attachment 10/26/2021 2:28:26 AM
Customer
Since I got her
Customer
Hello?

Hi, yes, I'm here. Thanks for those records. What have you offered her to eat?

Customer
The food the breeder have us which was blue buffalo. And plain chicken and rice

My concern is that she might have parvovirus or intestinal parasites despite being vaccinated and dewormed. Since she's a small puppy, and it's been a few days without her eating anything, I would get her to the vet for treatment as soon as possible. She is probably dehydrated.

Customer
Beneful puppy was offered too

Blue Buffalo isn't a great quality food. It might not be the cause of what is going on, but I would suggest Hill's Science Diet, Purina Proplan, or Royal Canin.

Customer
Okay.
Customer
could I take her tomorrow? Or tonight.

But for now I would get take her to the vet for and exam and treatment with fluids. They will want to run a fecal check to test for intestinal parasites and parvovirus, and possibly do some blood work.

Are her gums pink? Is she breathing normally? I would say it would be safer to take her tonight if you are able to just because of how long this has been going on.

If her gums are pale and she is very lethargic, I would take her right now.

Customer
They are a very pale pink

Okay. It's up to you but if you want to be extra cautious, I would take her tonight because she is small and hasn't eaten in a few days.

Customer
Okay

Best of luck, and I hope she recovers quickly!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Rachel
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Rachel
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.