Sprained back leg. Can i give him asprin. No this evening. Jske. 18 month old shepard

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Sprained back leg. Can i give him asprin
JA: The Vet will know if the dog can have that. When did the dog sprain his leg? Have you seen a vet yet?
Customer: no this evening
JA: Did he bleed at all from the sprain?
Customer: no
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: jske. 18 month old shepard
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Answered by DogDoc4U in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
DogDoc4U
18+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

The only safe over the counter pain medication is aspirin. Aspirin can be safely administered to a dog at 5 mg/ pound every 12 hours with food

Please let your veterinarian know that you have administered aspirin to Jake if you take him into the office because it will effect what medications would be dispensed since aspirin requires a “washout period” of 48+ hours prior to changing to another non steroidal such as rimadyl, metacam, previcox.

Administer aspirin with food and if you note any reduced appetite, vomiting, diarrhea with administration then please discontinue its use.
You can also supplement with massage of the painful area as well as rotating warm and cool compresses in 10 minute intervals.

I hope this information is helpful but if you have any additional questions please don't hesitate to ask

Customer
Thank you

You're welcome, best wishes to you both

Good evening, I wanted to check in on your pet after our chat yesterday. I would love an update when you are able. Thank you for visiting Justanswer!

Customer
Went to vet today all good no breaks resting well. Thanks for ur help and concern

Awesome, thanks so much for the update

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
DogDoc4U
logo
logo
logo
18+ years of experience
imglogo
DogDoc4U
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.