My puppy is lethargic and suddenly extremely itchy. Her appetite is fine but her head is bobbly and she can only take a

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My puppy is lethargic and suddenly extremely itchy
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the puppy been lethargic? Any changes in appetite?
Customer: Her appetite is fine but her head is bobbly and she can only take a few steps before being too tired but she's crying and stratching herself
JA: Could she have eaten something unusual?
Customer: No, she was fine until this afternoon and she was napping before that
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Eleven
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Its just the itching - I really think that's her biggest problem - she doesnt usually have an itchy issue
Answered by Mike McIntyre in 1 hour 1 year ago
imglogo
Mike McIntyre
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Customer
she's just itching and crying until she cant stay awake - then she itches and cries again - can I give her benadryl or something? is it just horribly severe allergies? she's scaring me... she has no energy at all
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Mike and it will be my pleasure to assist you with your questions today. I have over 20 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your little one, I can understand how stressful it is for you. I will do my utmost to assist today and to see if we will be able to resolve this quickly for you. Please be patient with me as it takes time to review and write detailed recommendations. Shortly you will receive an offer from Just Answer for a phone call, this is not directly from me and you do not have to accept it. If you prefer we can continue this whole conversation here. I will begin our discussion today with some questions to better understand your concerns.
To start with, have  there been any changes in eating, drinking, defecating or urinating most recently?
Are there any underlying medical conditions or medications that I should be aware of?
Will it be possible to send some photos of the affected area?
Customer
no, there were no changes at all - she's only about 5-6mo old - she was completely fine until she she stopped moving and could barely hold up her head.

Will it be possible to send some photos of the affected areas?

Customer
it's all over her body - the whole thing
Is the skin red, itchy, any hair loss?
Customer
nope nothing like that - she just cries and contorts herself to try to scratch everywhere
On any flea medication?
Customer
no, we've never had fleas here and she still doesnt have all of her shots so she doesn't go outside yet
Customer
her last round of shots are due this week
Will it be possible to send some photos of the skin and affected areas?
When sending pictures or videos do not text them to this number as it is just message forwarding number. They will then not be sent through for me to review. Instead you can send them through the Just Answer application or attach them to the message line with the paper clip icon or camera symbol. Press the camera or paperclip symbol by the chat box where you type. You may also press the “Add Files” button. Then select your photo(s).
Or you can upload to google drive or drop box and share the link with me here.
The Just Answer app can also be downloaded and it may be easier to then upload pictures/video through the app also.
Customer
it's her whole entire body - from the tip of her tail to her face

Under the hair is the skin red in places?

Customer
no its weird
Any other pets in contact with this one? When did the itching start? Is it getting worse?
Customer
yeah, we have another dog and 2 cats but we've had her for a few months now - the itching just started today - I dont know if it's because we got rain today for the first time?
This time of the year there can be allergies too, even changes in the environment, they can breathe in the allergens, they then enter the bloodstream from the lungs and also absorbed through the skin. This can then lead to the skin breaking out with reactions like this also. This can develop over time aslo, certain dogs may find over time a certain time of the year this can be more prevelane also. Bathing more often during these time, like once a week can help remove more of the allergens before they are absorbed into the skin. Key is let the shampoo sit on 10 minutes and rinse liberally to remove more of the allergens. Diphenhydramine at 1 mg/pound every 8 hours can also help with itch and inflammaiton.
Customer
okay, thank you

You are more than welcome. We can keep this message open for some days also, I am here daily and am readily available for follow-up. Please keep me updated as to any changes or concerns that may arise. If you wish for my help in the future. You can ask customer service to forward your questions to me, Doctor Mike. Start the questions “For Dr Mike only and no other expert” I am here daily and will be happy to follow up. It has been a pleasure assisting you and Eleven today. I wish Eleven a speedy recovery and have a good day. Thank you for using Just Answer. Dr. Mike.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Mike McIntyre
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Mike McIntyre
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.