Can u help me on why my puppy shakes In his sleep?

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi can u help me on why my puppy shakes In his sleep?
Answered by Dr. Kay in 19 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Kay
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Good evening, my name is***** to JustAnswer. I am happy to help and answer your question tonight and see if there is something we can do at home or if a vet visit is needed. How is your puppy doing overall? Is he still playing well, eating and drinking? Is it just a bit of twitching as he sleeps that you are seeing?

I have not heard back, but I know you are worried, and I do want to give you some basic information based on your concern. Sometimes, a response is not always registered, so please respond back if you wish to discuss further. I definitely want to answer all your questions.

----

It sounds like you are describing the little movements of his legs and head while he is sleeping soundly. Generally, puppies sleep quite a bit and have sleep cycles as they sleep, during which they dream, similar to humans. The twitching is only a reflection as to what is going on in his brain as he is sleeping. Generally, smaller dogs have dreams every 10 minutes as they sleep so this is completely normal. Puppies tend to dream a bit more than adult dogs as they process and their their new world!

--Generally, unless your puppy seems to be in distress, having full on tremors, or appears rigid, has involuntary urination/defecation/vomiting, there is no reason to worry.

I know this is alot of information, what additional questions do you still have for me?

Customer
It’s a little more than twitching it’s literally shaking and he wakes up crying or barking at times..
Customer
What are tremors?

Awe, poor guy. How often does this happen? Is he easily comforted afterwards or is he pretty out of it? Does he seem to be normal during the day while playing and eating well? Tremors are when his muscles are shaking uncontrollably over a longer period of time (rather than just a few times).

Customer
Ok thank you I don’t think it’s tremors..it only happens when he gets into a deep sleep little guy I don’t want him to suffer he has an appointment coming up everyone’s been booked..
Customer
But he very playful and barks lol it’s really the sleeping problem that’s worried me I’ll send a video if I could.

Okay, great. As long as he is happy and acting normally while he is awake and eating well, I do think this is puppy dreams. However, puppies can also have bad dreams, and when this happens, it is completely okay to wake him up gently to comfort him and let him know you are there. I think a veterinary visit is a good idea to make sure that there is nothing metabolically that could be causing these episodes, but this is less likely if he is otherwise a happy, healthy puppy.

Customer
Ok thank you and I wake him up every time when he’s doin it then he fine for a while
Customer
he does seems happy

Ahh, I understand. It is good to hear he is happy. As he gets older, these episodes will slow down as long as they are just puppy dreams. The other thing you can try is just to make sure his blood sugar is staying normal, so if you are not already, I would make sure you are feeding 3-4 times a day as well.

Customer
Ok thank you and he has an nice appetite

You are very welcome, that is also a great sign!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Kay
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Kay
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.