I have a beagle mix and a pom. They just grabbed a pack of raw bacon and ate the whole thing. It was in the counter and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a beagle mix and a pom. They just grabbed a pack of raw bacon and ate the whole thing. It was in the counter and the big one grabbed it when I left the kitchen. What do I need to do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much does the Beagle weigh?
Customer: 60 lbs.
JA: When was this? Has the Beagle thrown up since eating the pack?
Customer: Just in the last few minutes. No throw up yet.
JA: And what's the Beagle's name and age?
Customer: Suzy and she is 11.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No.
Answered by Dr. Peter in 10 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Peter
20+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****; I am sorry you have this problem with Suzy; I am sure you are concerned. I will do my best to help you today. But, first, I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

Any pre-existing medical conditions?

How are they doing?

Customer
no pre existing conditions and the both seem fine so far. I went to smart the phone so it has probably been 30-45 minutes since they ate the bacon.
Customer
answer the phone.

Thank you for that information. Please give me a moment to type your answer.

The ingestion of raw bacon is not going to be toxic. Likely, you will not see any symptoms. As with any dietary indiscretion, diarrhea or vomiting are possible outcomes; otherwise, they will be fine. I recommend keeping them off food overnight; water is okay as long as they are not vomiting. Keep an eye on them; if they vomit and get diarrhea, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start them on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg for the beagle and 1/4 tablet for the pom every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. It is best to give their gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours, give them a small amount of water. Wait for a half-hour; if no vomiting, they can continue to have water. Leave them without food for 12 hours, then feed them a small amount of rice (50%) mixed with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days, then wean into their regular diet.

4- If they become lethargic, stop eating, continue to vomit, etc., they should be seen by a veterinarian.

Customer
I'll start them on the pepsid. I have done rice and chicken before. they do love that! thanks so much.

You don't need to start them on Pepcid AC or change their diet unless they are vomiting. Please take the time to re-read my answer above.

You're welcome.

Customer
Thanks!

You're welcome. :)

Good afternoon. I hope I have given you a satisfactory answer. If you have any follow-up questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to assist you.

Customer
they are both doing fine... no problems at all. Thanks for putting me at ease.

Fantastic! I am happy to learn they are fine.

You're welcome.

Thank you for visiting Just Answer.

Have a great day!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Peter
logo
logo
logo
20+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Peter
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.