My poodle just ate half of a 5 mg tablet of prednisolone that was prescribed for my cat. Will he be ok? 5-6 pounds.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My poodle just ate half of a 5 mg tablet of prednisolone that was prescribed for my cat. Will he be ok?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much does the Poodle weigh?
Customer: 5-6 pounds
JA: When was this? Has he thrown up since then?
Customer: About 5 minutes ago, he’s not thrown up
JA: And what's the Poodle's name and age?
Customer: Tobie, 3 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I had put it in some food to give to my cat who has feline leukemia and he ate it before she could eat it
Answered by Dr. Patsy Fields in 7 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Patsy Fields
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi there, I am Dr. Fields, and I understand Tobie ate 2.5mg of prednisone. This is on the high end of a therapeutic dose for him, and should not cause serious side effects. He may be more thirsty and need to urinate more frequently over the next 12 hours however.

Does Tobie take any other medication currently, or does he have any past medical concerns?

Customer
The bottle says Prednisolone, is that the same thing as Prednisone?

It is a form of Prednisone used commonly in cats, but it is essentially the same, yes.

Customer
He doesn't take any medication, and the only illness he's had in the past was one case of gastritis from eating too much human food

Perfect! I would not expect any significant side effects for him.

Customer
Thank you so much, I feel so much better- is there anything I should do or watch for?

Nothing to do, but I would let him have free access to water if he would like it. In rare cases, it can cause stomach upset, and since he has a history of gastritis, it may be helpful to offer him a bland diet tonight and in the morning.

Customer
Thanks so much, I appreciate your help!

My pleasure! This chat will be open for several days, so feel free to reach out with any further questions or updates.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Patsy Fields
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Patsy Fields
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.