We have a Wheaton Terrior and Coyote mix. She is 8 years old. She just has developed areas where she scratches so much

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We have a Wheaton Terrior and Coyote mix. She is 8 years old. She just has developed areas where she scratches so much she gets a sore. We have cleared up all places she has scratched , eye, side of mouth, one spot on back by shoulders. Now she has a rash like condition on her back toward her rump. Little red bumps. We groomed her so we could help identify when areas were becoming a problem by shaving her down. WE have done this for the 8 years we have had her. Never a problem.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has the dog been licking or rubbing the bumps?
Customer: scratching those areas she can reach. She also licks her paws. and rolls around to rub her eyes, face and back.
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Jazi
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: She had diarrhea yeaterday. This condition started with her eye...
Answered by Dr. Jessie, DVM in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Jessie, DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** and I am happy to assist you today!! Thank you for entrusting me with your veterinary concerns for your fur baby. Please understand that I cannot legally diagnose conditions nor prescribe medications via this forum, but I will do my best to advise you.

Also, please feel free to disregard any requests for a phone call as those are automated requests from the website; unfortunately I am unable to communicate via phone at this time. But I will do my best to assist you as much as possible.

Customer
ok.did you get my info on the problem with Jazi?

Yes, it sounds like Jazi has some issues with itching. Unfortunately allergies can develop at any point in time in a dog's life (just like people). You can safely give dogs over the counter medication antihistamines - both Benadryl and Zyrtec are appropriate. There are also some over the counter leave-on mousse products by a veterinary-trusted company called Duoxo that can also help relieve itching and irritation.

Little red bumps are indicative of infection, so may be a good idea to get Jazi to your veterinarian to consider systemic antibiotics and/or medicated shampool

Customer
great. that is what we thought but not know how to decide what is best.
Customer
infection is moving all over her body??

Do you have benadryl or zyrtec at home now?

Customer
The area that she started with are healed and no more itching

Unfortunately infection can start in one area and spread. Can you take a photo to send?

Customer
no we do not.
Customer
just a minute
Customer
Customer attachment 10/25/2021 10:30:58 PM
Customer
did you get them through my phone text?

Yes, I did - thank you for sending the photos.

It can wait until the morning, but I would recommend having your Jazi seen for potential medications. There are also some prescription medications that can be helpful for long-term management of itching.

Customer
How much of the Benadryl or Zyrtec do I give a 30 to 35 pound dog?

You can safely give one (1) 25mg benadryl every 6-8 hours or one (1) 10mg zyrtec every 24 hours.

Customer
I will get an appointment for her. Thank you.

You're so welcome!! Is there anything else I can do to assist you tonight?

Customer
Could she have gotten into something that would have started this? Infection?
Customer
She was running through tall grass and weeds before this all started.

It is possible - they can have a hypersensitivity to anything that can cause allergy - the main things we see are some sort of food allergy (typically the protein) and environmental/contact allergies, possibly including insect bites.

Oh, very possible she may be allergic to something outside!! Would definitely give a quick bath, even dawn dish soap is helpful if you do not have any dog shampoo.

Customer
uh oh.....we feed her 27% protein dry food.
Customer
Could this be a problem?
Customer
We have shaved and bathed her and NOW the little bumps on her back have come.
Customer
All the other spots are gone. I think the mousse and benadryl will be what we start with. Thank you.

You're welcome!!

Customer
bye

And it's not necessarily the amount of protein, but the source (Ie. chicken, beef, pork, etc).

My pleasure!! Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your concerns. I hope I have been able to answer all of your questions today, and that your fur baby feels better soon. In the event that you have any other concerns or need any further veterinary advice, I am more than happy to help. Unfortunately I cannot set a follow up on this platform, but please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience. It was a pleasure chatting with you, have a great night!!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Jessie, DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Jessie, DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.