My dog is in serious pain and won’t let us anywhere near her to bring to the vet. We have some tramadol we can give, but

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi there. My dog is in serious pain and won’t let us anywhere near her to bring to the vet. We have some tramadol we can give, but is that safe to give to dogs?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Where does the dog seem to hurt? How long has this been going on?
Customer: she has a large tumor in her left back leg. She’s had it for quite a while, but this weekend she has really gone downhill and refuses to walk or move around.
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Miley and she’s 9
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i think that’s it
Answered by Dr. Noel Berger in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Noel Berger
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello!
I am Dr. Noel Berger, it is my pleasure to serve you today. I am an active licensed veterinarian with over 33 years of clinical experience.
Your concerns about your pet's health are my top priority, and I can confidently help you both feel better.
My objective is to determine whether your pet needs to have a full physical exam, or if we can manage things from the comfort of your home.
Please be patient with me when I ask you a few questions regarding your pet's situation.
*******
I cannot prescribe medication on this platform, but if you have medicine at home, I can discuss correct dosages with you.
*******
I will do my best to help you and your pet, and give you my professional advice based on the history and clinical signs you share.
/

What breed is Miley?

How much does she weigh?

You must be so worried about all the pain that she is in. Poor Miley :=(
I understand exactly how you feel. Let's do what we can together to help her feel more comfortable okay?

Customer
Hi there! Thank you!
Customer
She weighs about 45 lbs
Customer
We're trying to take her to an ER vet but she won't let us near her to put the leash on. We're hoping to give her some pain meds to calm her down and ease the pain a bit
Customer
We have tramadol but wanted to see if that's ok to give a dog before doing so

You can give her 2 Tramadol ( 5mg/kg)= total of 100mg, assuming they are 50mg each, and an aspirin (325mg) with food.

This will provide pain relief and tranquilization.

If you have to, you can use a large blanket to cover her and scoop her up, so nobody gets hurt.

Customer
Ok we will try that
Customer
Thank you so much!
Customer
If we don't have aspirin will Tylenol be ok?

NO !!!!

Tylenol will certainly not be ok.

Neither will Ibuprofen or Naproxen.

Customer
Ok

I will check back in a little while to see how he is doing.

Customer
Appreciate your help, thank you!
Customer
Sorry another question. Our the emergency vet is closed, how often can we give her this dosage until we can be seen?

every 8-12 hours.

Customer
Ok great, thank you!

How did Miley do this evening after taking the medication?

Customer
Seems to be doing a little bit better. Thanks for checking in!

Very good.

Now repeat the dose every 8-12 hours, and get her to the vet ASAP, OK?

Customer
Will do!

Good Luck!
Thank you for using Just Answer

Hopefully you are making good use of your time here on Just Answer.
This is a terrific resource for Expert information and opinions.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Noel Berger
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Noel Berger
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.