My dog ate an entire thing of gun with xylitol and not well do I make her puke in route to er vet but an hr away. 55lbs

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my dog ate an entire thing of gun with xylitol and not well do I make her puke in route to er vet but an hr away
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much did the dog eat? Do you know her weight?
Customer: 55lbs and a full un opened container
JA: The Expert will know if the dog will be okay to digest the container. What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: harper 40pc
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Trident vibes spearmint gum
Answered by Dr John in 2 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr John
20+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** will be happy to help you. I am sorry to hear that Harper ingested this gum.  This toxicity can be very concerning.  If it is an hour's drive before you can get her to the vet, I would induce vomiting first because you may see signs of low blood sugar as soon as 30 minutes after ingestion.  For a 55 lb dog, I would use 60 ml (4 tablespoons or 2 ounces) of 3% hydrogen peroxide given orally.  Do this now, then get to the ER vet for follow-up care with activated charcoal and baseline blood work to check the liver out.  Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Customer
she just threw up and do much gum. she won't drink anymore water/peroxide
Customer
Hi
Customer
I'd a 1 time puke enough
Customer
is*

It depends on how much she vomited up.  If she vomited all of it up, that should be fine.  If not, then there is still a concern.  Either way, I would make sure she gets activated charcoal from your vet to bind anything still in the GI tract.

Hello.  I just wanted to follow up and make sure you didn't have any other questions about Harper.

Customer
the ER vet is keeping her overnight and monitoring her. thank you for your help
Customer
we're all set

Great!!  Thanks for the update.

Customer
thank you for your help

You are welcome.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr John
logo
logo
logo
20+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr John
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.