We have a miniature poodle who has a puncture wound on her neck area that has scabbed over. She was eating and doing

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We have a miniature poodle who has a puncture wound on her neck area that has scabbed over. She was eating and doing fine. Today she's throwing and very lazy. I gave a bath yesterday. I don't know if I irritated that stop or, what?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is the Poodle bleeding at all? Any sign of swelling?
Customer: No
JA: And what's the Poodle's name and age?
Customer: Daisy age four
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: She does have seasonal allergies
Answered by Rhett Burch in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
Rhett Burch
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello! I am sorry your pet is having problems. My name is***** I am a licensed veterinarian with Just Answer. Thank you for visiting the site. I hope to be of great help to you. Please give me 10 minutes to consider your pet’s case and respond.

What have you tried so far? Is your pet taking any medications? How long has this been going on? Does your pet have any preexisting medical conditions?

Could you send a picture of your pet’s problem? Take a picture with your phone/tablet. You can try texting it to me. Press the camera or paperclip symbol by the chatbox where you type. Or press the “Add Files” button. Then select your photo(s).

Customer
We put hot compresses on it and neosporin.

Is Daisy vomiting today?

Customer
several times

It sounds like gastroenteritis which means Daisy  probably ate something bad and has an irritated stomach and intestines. Other possible causes are stress, liver issues, kidney problems, intestinal parasites, toxin consumption, pancreatitis, or adrenal gland issues. Those problems are rare but the only way  to rule them out is with medical tests and the vet.

Take your dog to the vet today if you can. The vet will probably want to do bloodwork and maybe x rays if it’s likely your dog ate something and it’s stuck in the intestines. The cost for an exam, bloodwork, and x-rays can cost 300-500 dollars depending on where you live. If you can’t afford that, you can talk to the vet about what they think is absolutely necessary. Or you could ask your vet about skipping the tests and just do treatment.

If you can't get to a vet, give your dog 10mg for every 20 pounds of body weight (maximum of 20mg each dose) of human Famotidine (Pepcid) once every 24 hours. Pepcid is not the same as Pepto Bismol. It’s a human drug for heartburn and upset stomach that can help with some cases of GI irritation. You can get Pepcid over the counter from most human drug stores. Here is a video showing how you can give a pill to your dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3yHgItqGmo&t=7s

Wait an hour or 2 after giving the Pepcid and give 1 cup of either chicken broth, Pedialyte, Gatorade, or water with a syringe orally to rehydrate your dog. After your dog has gone 12-24 hours without eating, give your dog a bland diet consisting of boiled chicken breast and rice for 2-3 days. Then gradually reintroduce your pet's regular food. For diarrhea, you can give over the counter anti-diarrhea gel from your local pet store or plain yogurt twice a day as a probiotic. Call and ask what they have. You can also give a tablespoon of canned pumpkin each meal for fiber.

If these things aren't helping let me know or go to a vet. If it's a simple case of upset stomach/intestines, you should see some improvement within a day or 2. If your dog keeps vomiting or gets weaker, that is a bad sign. In that case, you probably need to go to a vet quickly. Do you have any questions about what I said?

Customer
She won't come out from under my bed
Customer
Okay, I'll try the Pepcid

Let me know if you need more help. You can still chat with me later. I hope your pet recovers soon! Thank you for using Just Answer.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Rhett Burch
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Rhett Burch
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.