My dog has developed a brownish spot on the top of her eyeball that you can see when you pull the skin back. She does

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog has developed a brownish spot on the top of her eyeball that you can see when you pull the skin back
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did the dog pull her skin? Have you seen a vet yet?
Customer: She does not pull her skin but if I pull the skin back a bit to get a closer look at the top of her eyeball i see some brownish spot and its only on the left eye. Have not seen a vet yet
JA: Did she bleed at all from the injury?
Customer: no
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** is about 3 and a half
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Ive also noticed some weight gain around the stomach/rib cage area her stomach seems very wide
Answered by BrandonG102 in 2 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
BrandonG102
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Good afternoon, I’m Dr. Gates and I’m happy to assist you this today.

My job here is to assess whether or not you pet needs to be examined and diagnostic tests run or if we can manage things safely at home.

I will do my best to go through everything with you and give you my professional advice based on the history and clinical signs. The more information I have the better the job I can do to help get you some answers for your pet.

Customer
I have a maltese shihtzu mix and I have noticed that she has a brownish black spot on the top part of her left eyeball

I'm so sorry that Zoey is having issues. Can you attach a picture of the lesion?

Customer
File attached (VT6GG4G)
Customer
you have to really pull back the eye too see it and it is hard for me to really check as I do not want to discomfort her
Customer
also i have noticed over the last year that shes gained some weight but she just got a haircut today and her stomach/rib cage area seems wider than I remember it being

What you're probably describing is an iris or iridial cyst (sometimes called a uveal cyst). However, they can get certain types of cancers that mimic these lesions.

You can read about Iridial cysts here:

https://www.indyanimaleyeclinic.com/veterinary-information-network-publications/iris-cysts-canine/

This article discusses when you should worry and have her examined to rule out other more serious possibilities:

https://vmcli.com/uveal-cysts-when-to-worry/

Weight gain is common as their metabolism slows down when they age. There are also endocrine issues like Diabetes, Hypothyroidism, and Cushing's disease which can also cause weight gain and a bloated appearance. Blood work is generally needed to diagnose these conditions.

Customer
thank you

I'd recommend picking up some GenTeal tears from the local pharmacy or grocery store. You can use these 2 to 3 times daily.

You're welcome.

I hope this information was helpful and that Zoey is back to normal soon. You can provide updates and ask follow-up questions by picking up the chat in the window and I will answer when I am next online. Thank you for using Just Answer and have a wonderful day!

If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do. I invite you to ask me any follow-up questions. Thank you for using our site and for trusting me to answer your question.

Just in case, here are a couple of articles on the most common endocrine diseases in dogs. I hope this helps.

Hypothyroidism: https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&id=4952004

Cushing's: https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&id=4951510

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
BrandonG102
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
BrandonG102
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.