My frenchie seems to have a wart or something on his left paw. Yesterday. Yes, and he’s limping too. Mando, he’s 2. I

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My frenchie seems to have a wart or something on his left paw.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this? Has the Frenchie been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: Yesterday. Yes, and he’s limping too.
JA: And what's the Frenchie's name and age?
Customer: Mando, he’s 2.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I think that’s all.
Answered by BrandonG102 in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
BrandonG102
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Good afternoon, I’m Dr. Gates and I’m happy to assist you this today.

My job here is to assess whether or not you pet needs to be examined and diagnostic tests run or if we can manage things safely at home.

I will do my best to go through everything with you and give you my professional advice based on the history and clinical signs. The more information I have the better the job I can do to help get you some answers for your pet.

I'm so sorry that Mando is having issues. Can you attach a picture of the mass?

Regardless of the cause of the mass, the most important thing is to prevent any licking of the area as that delays healing and can lead to formation of a lick granuloma.  You can read about that here:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/lick-granuloma-in-dogs

A histiocytoma is a possibility. It's a benign skin mass that sometimes develops on the head and feet. You can read about it here:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/skin-cutaneous-histiocytoma

A viral papilloma is also a possible cause. You can read about that here:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/papilloma-of-the-skin

There are other numerous possibilities, so the best way to find out what is causing the mass is to have your local vet perform a fine needle aspirate. They can collect the cells and then look at them under the microscope.

In the meantime, you can try soaking Mando's paw in an epsom salt solutuion twice daily for 3 to 5 days. I'd also recommend placing a soak over the area once dry to prevent licking.

If it doesn't go away following the soaks, gets larger, starts bleeding or having discharge, is hot to the touch, or if Mando becomes more lame then I would have him assessed.

I hope this information was helpful and that Mando is back to normal soon. You can provide updates and ask follow-up questions by picking up the chat in the window and I will answer when I am next online. Thank you for using Just Answer and have a wonderful day!

If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do. I invite you to ask me any follow-up questions. Thank you for using our site and for trusting me to answer your question.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
BrandonG102
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
BrandonG102
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.