He ate almost a whole bottle of antacid. Bottle says calcium carbonate/anacid 750mg. Simethicone /antigas 80 mg hes a

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: He ate almost a whole bottle of antacid.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much does the dog weigh?
Customer: bottle says calcium carbonate/anacid 750mg
JA: When was this? Has he thrown up since eating the antacid?
Customer: simethicone /antigas 80 mg hes a 26
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: lb shitzu punkin, 7 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: just ingested
Answered by Scott Perry in 3 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Scott Perry
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** and I am happy to help you with your question. My job here is to determine whether or not diagnostic tests need to be run or if we can manage things at home. I will do my best to sort things out for you and give you my professional advice based on the history and signs.

Customer
Ok

I am happy to help you with this question. I understand how important an answer is to your question, so I will work on this for you until it is resolved. Have you observed any nausea signs such as excessive lip licking, drooling, or swallowing multiple times?

Customer
Dog is 7 yrs, 25 lbs
Customer
Just ingested 2 minutes ago

Do you know approximately how many tablets were in the bottle that were swallowed?

Customer
He ate almost a whole bottle of calcium carbonate / antacid 750 mg, simethicone / antigas 8O mg

Is there more than 50 tablets in a bottle?

Customer
I would say 20
Customer
Hello?

I am here. Thank you for your response. Are you receiving my messages?

Customer
Last thing you asked was how many he ate - 20

This will be OK regarding a toxicity concern. Calcium carbonate is very poorly absorbed through the intestines. It needs vitamin D in order to be absorbed, so in the absence of vitamin D, very little will get through the intestine. With good kidney function, and no history of kidney disease, the small amount of calcium that gets absorbed will be able to be cleared from the body. Therefore, this is not an emergency and no immediate treatments are required. However, the amount swallowed could result in vomiting, nausea, or diarrhea. It is recommended to monitor for signs of vomiting and nausea such as excessive lip licking, drooling, or multiple attempts to swallow. Nausea is usually self-limiting and does not typically require treatment.

Treatment for diarrhea is recommended to offer a low-fat diet such as boiled chicken and white rice for a few days. Feed in small amounts. You can also add a little fiber to the diet to help bulk the stool. Psyllium husk such as Metamucil or Benefiber are safe fiber options you may add to the diet. Canned pumpkin can also be given, but it has less bulking effects compared to the others. Water may always be offered. Pedialyte is safe to give. Kaolin & pectin and probiotics are helpful adjuncts to treatment of diarrhea. Imodium can also be given in the amount of 2 mg every 8 to 12 hours as needed for a period of only 2 to 3 days. If no signs are seen after 24 hours, then no further monitoring is necessary.

Customer
Thank you

You are most welcome. I hope I have given you a satisfactory answer. If you have any follow up questions, please reply here and I will be happy to assist you.

This is Dr. Perry and I just wanted to check in to see if you have any follow up questions. Please let me know if you do and I will do my best to help.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Scott Perry
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Scott Perry
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.