She was discharged for pancreatitis and am feeding her boiled chicken and rice but now my dog hasn't pooped neither

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: she was discharged for pancreatitis and am feeding her boiled chicken and rice but now my dog hasn't pooped neither yesterday nor today
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you given the dog anything to help with the constipation?
Customer: i'm afraid because of the pancreatitis, she is on reglan and is having tardive dyskinesia from it so Im skipping some doses and don't know if this would help with her constipation or making it worse
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Xuxa, age 12 i'm a family physician to that's why I know she is having side effect
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: it's a long history, I don't know if you want the whole history, also how much is the cost
Answered by KellyB393 in 3 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
KellyB393
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Welcome to JustAnswer!  My name is***** and I will be the veterinarian assisting you today.  Please note that I cannot diagnose or prescribe on this platform, but I will do my best to help you determine whether to seek veterinary care or offer at home remedies/treatments if possible.  Please be patient while I type out additional follow up questions if needed, or my response.  Thank you!

Customer
Ok

Aw, poor girl!  What other medications is she on?  I do find that with the chicken and rice they tend to poop way less often.  Is she also on metronidazole?

Customer
Ok, she is on augmentin and a fluoroquinalone, reglan, keppra for seizures, ursosiol, debentrium?(for the liver)
Customer
She has great appetite urinating well but no BM since 2 days ago
Customer
She is looking better too and active

Got it.  How long was she hospitalized?  Was she having any diarrhea prior to this?  Also, is she straining or just not going at all?

Customer
She started having traduce dyskinesia last night which I believe it's from the reglan so I skipped her reglan last night and this morning, and wondering if it's making constipaciones worse or it would help
Customer
No diarrhea hospitalized last Monday discharged Friday night
Customer
Tardive
Customer
She has lost some weight so many dose now a bit too strong
Customer
I saw by camera looks like she was going to poop but didn't and went to bed

Could be the cause for that if she has a history of seizures anyway.  I would see what your vet wants to do about long term management of that, but as far as the decreased gut motility I would say it is probably a combination of stopping the medication and feeding the chicken and rice.  I would either give it another day if she isn't straining or add in canned pumpkin for fiber. If that doesn't work you can try a small amount of something like Metamucil to see if that helps.

Customer
Ok thanks so U suggest cont the reglan and maybe add pumpkin to help
Customer
Ok will do thanks

Yeah if they are wanting her on the metoclopramide while she recovers from her pancreatitis then I probably would.  You could certainly try lowering the dose a little as you mentioned.  You could also contact them to see if its just for the anti-nausea effect because maybe they want to switch her to something like Cerenia if she has a history of seizures and seems to be having a reaction to that medication, just to be safe.

Customer
Ok awesome thanks yes I was told it was for nausea that's why I've hood some doses
Customer
Thank u

There are a lot of other good anti-nausea medications out there so I wouldn't hesitate to switch if needed.  You are very welcome!  Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions.  If I do not answer right away I am probably logged off and will respond in soon as I am able to.  In the future if this chat is closed you are welcome to request me and I will do my best to respond as quickly as I can.  Best of luck to you and Xuxa!!

Customer
Ok fantastic thank u exactly you it increases risk of seizures too the reglan

Yeah probably would be worthwhile to switch to something like Cerenia or Zofran in my opinion!

Customer
Ok thanks

You’re welcome! Best of luck!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
KellyB393
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
KellyB393
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.