Blood coming out of peepee. Can't see a vet until tomorrow afternoon. Whined a lot last night. Duffy, 14.5 Shih Tsu.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Blood coming out of peepee. Can't see a vet until tomorrow afternoon
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you also noticed an unusual smell in the dog's urine?
Customer: No
JA: Does the dog seem more tired than usual?
Customer: Whined a lot last night
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Duffy, 14.5 Shih Tsu
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No Customer: Chat is completed
Answered by Dr. Jen, DVM in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Jen, DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi this is Dr. Jen :-) I am sorry to hear that Duffy is having issues. Is blood coming out in the urine or dripping from his penis?

Customer
Dripping

Is he still urinating and eating normally? Is he neutered?

Customer
He's neutered. Drinks a lot, didn't eat breakfast but that's not unusual lately

How long has the bleeding been going on for?

Customer
After our last walk, 8:00 last night.

And has it stopped at all, or has it been constant bleeding since last night? Is he straining to urinate at all?

Customer
I could tell he was in a lot of pain and had a hard time getting him settled. This morning it picked up again on walk. He does appear to be straining. Haven't seen blood on floor or carpet
Customer
Not constant
Customer
Not pouring

OK. Well it is not ideal to wait until tomorrow, but I think it is OK. He is most likely suffering from either a urinary tract infection or bladder stones. Bladder tumors do occur, but are much less likely. As long as he is not straining to urinate (trying to pee with nothing coming out) it is not an emergency.

Customer
He's kind of Hutchins to pee and I first thought he couldn't poop, but he has

Do you have a vet urgent care or Er near you? That would be your other option to try and get him seen today.

Customer
There wasn't a vet within 70 miles who could take him today.

From what you have told me honestly I do not think it will be harmful to wait until tomorrow.

They are most likely going to want to do some x-rays and look at a urine sample under the microscope to figure out what truly is going on.

Customer
I'm in a small town on the coast. I live in Florence, OR. Is there something I can give him for pain if he begins whinging and yelping again?
Customer
whining...
Customer
Are we done?

I honestly would not with him bleeding. Aspirin is typically is the only thing over the counter that we can give two dogs but with him bleeding it would not be wise as it does increase the tendency to bleed.

Customer
I'm going to get him a cone so he doesn't constantly lick. Thank you

You’re welcome :-)

How is Duffy doing? What did your vet end up finding?

Customer
He couldn't give a urine sample so he hoped it was only a bladder infection and sent me home with antibiotics
Customer
How much does this cost to respond or continue our conversation?

It does not cost anything to answer my request for an update ;-) I am glad he is under treatment.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Jen, DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Jen, DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.