My dog has a heart murmur No. 2. Does he need medication? It has developed in the past year. Three weeks ago. Bailey, 8

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my dog has a heart murmur No. 2. Does he need medication?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the dog had this heart murmur?
Customer: it has developed in the past year
JA: When did he last see a vet?
Customer: three weeks ago
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bailey, 8 years
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have been told that a dog with No. 2 heart murmur does not need medication. My vet prescribed Vetmedin to Bailey and I am suspicious about this
Answered by Dr. Megan Brown in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Megan Brown
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi this is Dr. Brown.  I'll do my best to help you and Bailey!  Can you answer a few questions for me to start?

Customer
Ok
Customer
Hi

Can you tell me what kind of dog Bailey is?

Customer
Cavalier King Charles

Ah yes - heart disease is so very common in this breed.

so the best route would be to get Bailey to a cardiologist to determine what is the cause of the murmur and that will help to determine the most appropriate course of action.   However, there is evidence that Vetmedin can improve outcome in dogs when treatment is started before they are clinical for heart disease, such as in Bailey's case.

Customer
I know. Does he need Vetmedin with a 2 heart murmur?
Customer
Thank you

If the heart murmur is due to mitral valve disease, which is most likely, then being on Vetmedin is a good thing and will help improve long term outcome.  But without an ultrasound of the heart, we can't know the exact cause of the murmur (Although mitral valve disease is most likely).  But keeping him on Vetmedin is a safe thing to do while we wait for a cardiologist.

Customer
He has had an ultra sound test

This is a very technical page, but this gives an idea of when vetmedin is indicated.

Pimobendan and heart disease

Has he had an ultrasound by a cardiologist?

Customer
No

Ok.  That would be the most appropriate next step to assess what the cause of the murmur is and if the heart is doing it's job correctly!

Customer
Thank you

Of course.  Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer
No thank you

You are welcome.  Please do not hesitate to reach out with any further questions and best of luck with Bailey!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Megan Brown
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Megan Brown
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.