I have a toy poodle puppy and she's been scratching since a month after I got her, so she would have been 5 months old.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a toy poodle puppy and she's been scratching since a month after I got her, so she would have been 5 months old. all 3 vets I've been too say allergies but trying to get information as to whether since she's so young, if it could be more of a possiblity of food rather than environmental
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the puppy had this scratching?
Customer: 4 months
JA: Is she taking any medications?
Customer: she was on Apoquel for a month, then received a cytopoint injection 3 weeks ago but has already started scratching again. I really thought that would last for at least 4 weeks
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Zena
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We live in Florida and she was born in South Korea. I do realize this may have been an evironmental shift but still uncertain if that is the problem. Her stool has always been normal. She does through up some light yellow goo every once in a while, about once a week
Answered by LauraH720 in 29 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
LauraH720
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi! Welcome and thanks for using Just Answer. I am Dr. Laura. I am a veterinarian with 20 years of experience with small animals. I am sorry you are having this problem with Zena.
At her age it would be very unusual to have allergies but not impossible Do the Apoquel and cytopint medicines help when she has them to totally stop the scratching?
Customer
they didn't totally stop the scratching but definitely helped. The vet said the injection should last 4-6 weeks and its only been 3 weeks and she's scratching again
Customer
she also rubs her face and licks her privates quite a bit. My sister has 3 toy poodle females and none of them do this so I'm not sure if that is related
Customer
I apologize for the delay. I had a work meeting
Customer
the scratching seemed to come on slowly... I'm not sure if that is in indication of anything. at first it was only at night, so i thought it had something to do with her bed or bedding, then it was at morning too and eventually all throughout the day. Not constant but at least 3-4 times an hour. she got to the point she was biting her back, all the way down to the skin. her hair still hasn't completely grown back. that is when i took her to the vet again (I've been to 3 vets). 1st gave her shampoo, didn't seem to help. 2nd gave the Apoquel in a 15 min appt (I was upset about this as I'm looking for answers, not medications) 3rd said definitely allergies, gave her the cytopoint shot and recommended getting allergy testing an immunotherapy
I got your messages. One minute while I read. No problem on the delay!
Okay how often are you bathing her and with what? Has she had diagnostics done like a skin scraping to rule out mites or a cytology to look for a bacterial infection?
Customer
the 1st vet did use a comb to brush her skin and then looked closely at it... I'm not sure if that's what you mean for the skin scraping or if theres a more targeted procedure for that.
Customer
i'm not sure what a cytology would look like but they've never drawn blood
Customer
the first vet looked at a stool sample in teh very early stages and said it looked normal
No those are not the procedures.
Customer
ok. it seems everyone wants to just blame allergies and give medications. it's frustrating!
An skin scraping takes a scalpel blade and scrapes the skin and then it is placed on a microscope slide to look under the microscope to see if mites are present as they can't be seen wirht je naked eye.
Customer
i do have an appointment with a dermatology vet next month to see about the allergy testing, but the consultation alone is $180 plus the testing is around $1,000.
Customer
I do not believe the skin scraping was done to the affect that you mentioned
Then a cytology is done by take a piece of tape on a microscope slide and touching it to the skin and looking under the microscope to see if bacteria or yeast is present.
I understand your frustration! Do you bathe her and if so how often and in what?
Customer
when i first got her I was bathing her about 3x a week, mostly because she gets on our bed and furniture. now it's down to about once a week because I was afraid I was drying out her skin
Customer
shampoos lol
Customer
i've tried many, most often it's isle of dogs tearless puppy shampoo
Customer
also the medicated shampoo the vet prescribed
Okay in puppies dry skin is the most common cause of itchiness. Do you know what the medicated shampoo was?
Customer
then the last is earthbath brand I got from petsmart ultra-mild puppy shampoo
Customer
let me grab it
Customer
chlorhexidine 4% shampoo... but it says you have to leave it on for 10-30 mins which I've made her do a few times but she hates it lol
Customer
i'm just looking for any other possible solution other than giving her a medication for the rest of her life. definitely didn't know what i was signing up for when I got her haha
Okay that is the best shampoo to use. If she did have bacteria or yeast on the skin that would help. I would also recommend adding a fatty acid supplement to her diet. You can buy this at a petstore or online. Fatty acid supplements can help with allergies as well but really helps wirh dry skin. It can take a couple weeks to get into the system to fully recognize the effects.
Customer
i've been giving her aller-immune bites by zesty paws for about 2 months... can't tell that it's done anything :/
Customer
how often do you suggest giving a bath?
Customer
they have 70mg of salmon oil..? do you thnk that is enough to have make a difference or should I add more oil to her food? which I've also read could help
Let me see what is in those .
Okay yes those do have fatty acid in them.
I would bathe once a week in the medicated shampoo. If it is an allergy causing the problem you can give some Benadryl as well when the cytopoint wears off too early.
That is a low dose of the salmon oil so I would try a different product that has more.
Customer
just for awareness, i don't have any kids, so she is like my 1st baby lol... so i've done a lot of reading! after getting her cytopoint injection, i started 'googling' that and found some suggestions for more holistic options, so i started 2 more things the last 2 weeks... Bovine colostrum by four leaf rover and Seasonal support by Dr. Mercola, following the directions. I was hoping to start these to overlap the injection and was hoping by the time the injection wore off, these would take affect... but the scratching is coming back as I mentioned, so not sure if these are even helping :(
Customer
Ok. will look for more salmon oil. I did switch her food to salmon and rice to add, but again, not sure how much she's getting
Customer
purina pro
Customer
she was on royal canin when i 1st got her but then i started thinking it was chicken, so i switched to the purina pro
Customer
will the medicated shampoo 'cure' mites? any other indications of a bacterial infection? just not sure if i should continue down the 'allergy' seeking path or if there could be another cause. when I noticed it, we were on a road trip up through the northeast, up to niagara falls and then back to FL. She wasn't outside much because we were traveling and then staying in different hotels, so I was surprised when the vet said environmental allergies since her environment was always changing for a good month
Salmon food is good for added fatty acid. Most of the time puppies don't have food allergies and environmental allergies are more common. If the shampoo and extra fish oils don't help the dermatologists will do the diagnostics I mentioned to rule other things that can cause the scratching. Your regular vet could do this too. Is she on a medication for fleas?
No the shampoo would do nothing for mites.
Customer
to medication for fleas. simpartica or something like that. the chewable. she was on a different chewable and the last vet gave the simpartica
Other signs of infection would be an odor to the skin or sores on the skin or flaky skin. Sometimes there is no signs other than being itchy.
Okay there are 2 types of mites. Simpirica does take care of one type.
Customer
about a month into the scratching she had sores on her belly but they healed up in a few weeks and I haven't noticed any other sores
Okay that could be either allergies or any of the things we discussed.
Customer
from everything I've mentioned, do you think its worth scheduling an appointment with my regular vet for bacterial infection and mites testing or do you also feel that it's most likely environmental allergies? and just save my money for the dermatology vet?
Customer
we have a camper and we've just been all over the southeast and a few months in Missouri over the last 5 months which all have different environments which is why i keep questioning the environmental allergies but obviously grass and pollen is everywhere, so maybe
It sounds like it would be best to just see the dermatologist. Since you are using Simpirica which would take care of the most common mite and using the shampoo to help with any possible infections it sounds like all that would do is confirm it but not change how you are already treating.
Customer
ok thank you
it is still possible and the advantage to seeing a dermatologist is that they can do allergy testing if needed to tell you exactly what she is allergic to .
You're very welcome! Can I answer any more questions for you?
Customer
any clues on what the licking of her privates could be? same thing? my boyfriend just tells me she's cleaning herself but it seems obsessive
Customer
scooting her butt every so often
Customer
She's a mess! LOL... but she's also such a good pup
It very well could be allergies as well.
Scooting could also be an anal gland issue. Sometimes they will scoot when the anal glands are full and need expressed.
She sounds like it! But she is worth it I am sure!
Customer
thank you. I think thats all i have at the moment
You're very welcome! Thanks for using Just Answer!
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
LauraH720
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
LauraH720
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.