Nausea and lethargy. No changes. Lethargic just today, am concerned she ate something I didn't see at a family dinner

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Nausea and lethargy
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the dog been lethargic? Any changes in appetite?
Customer: No changes. Lethargic just today, am concerned she ate something I didn't see at a family dinner last night. Has experienced pancreatitus in past and is on a strict diet. I'd like to provide her some dimenhydrinate syrup to ease any tummy discomfort but cannot get an reliable dose for her. She is 65lbs. I have Kids Gravol Liquid. 15mg/5ml.
JA: Could she have eaten something unusual?
Customer: Yes that is the suspicion
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Leah and she turns 11 on November 27th.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: She is an American Boxer
Answered by Dr. Amy Leigh in 1 hour 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer with your questions. I'm sorry Leah is not feeling well.

-My name is***** have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and am happy to help with your question.

-Veterinary Experts are able to provide general medical advice. We are NOT able to provide a diagnosis or prescribe medications. I can help you to determine if a veterinary visit is needed or if it seems reasonable to monitor and treat at home.

-You may be automatically prompted to consider a phone consultation for an additional fee. Unfortunately, I am not able to provide phone consultations. If you would like to continue the chat, just hit decline. If you would like a phone consultation, let me know and I will disconnect so you can speak with another Expert.

-I will do my best to respond to you as quickly as possible. Sometimes, my response may be delayed if I am helping other customers as well. I assure you that I will get back to you as soon as possible to answer all of your questions.

I'd like to ask you some questions so that I can provide the best advice possible

-It appears you are offline. I am sorry we were not able to connect to discuss Leah's stomach upset.

-Based on the information you provided, I can offer some general advice.

-Dimenhydrinate is not a very effective medication for controlling nausea in dogs unless it is motion sickness-related. You would have to give 39ml (1.3 ounces) of the medication.

-Nausea can be caused by a variety of conditions.

-If a dog eats something unusual, it can cause stomach upset with vomiting and/or diarrhea. Typically, this can be treated by withholding food for about 6 hrs. If there is no further vomiting, offer about 1/4 cup of water per hour for another few hours. If there is still no vomiting, start offering a bland diet made of skinless boiled chicken and rice. Continue the bland diet for 3-5 days or until the signs resolve. Gradually add in some of the normal dog food over several days until he is back to his normal diet.

-If dogs eat material that is not able to be digested, it can become lodged in the stomach or intestines. X-rays would be needed to determine if this is the case.

-Older dogs can develop liver or kidney dysfunction that can result in vomiting and diarrhea.

-Intestinal parasites can also cause diarrhea.

-Puppies are prone to infectious diarrhea caused by bacteria or viruses, like parvo-virus.

-Dogs can also develop a condition called pancreatitis. This is an inflammation of the pancreas. The pancreas secretes digestive enzymes and insulin. Inflammation can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite, abdominal pain, lethargy, and fever.

-I would recommend that you follow the directions for the bland diet above.

-You can offer some Pepcid to try to settle her stomach. She can get 20mg twice daily. Make sure that it does not contain any other active ingredients except famotidine as many medications are toxic to dogs.

-If she is not feeling better tomorrow, has vomiting, is lethargic, wont eat or drink or develops diarrhea, she should be evaluated by her veterinarian.

I hope the information was helpful and Leah will feel better soon. Thank you for trusting JustAnswer with your questions. It was my pleasure to help you today. If you need further information regarding this question or need clarification on the recommendations, please let me know. I am happy to help.

I hope Leah is feeling much better. Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Amy Leigh
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Amy Leigh
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.