My seven month old husky is having the reverse sneezing attacks at first it wasnt a lot and only when she was excited

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my seven month old husky is having the reverse sneezing attacks at first it wasnt a lot and only when she was excited but it’s happening more often including when she is asleep. One last night lasted five minutes and then she continued to suck in ragged breaths for a while after. The vet I brought it up to said if it’s only when she’s excited and there is no discharge I don’t need to worry about it. But I can see it really causes her to start to panic and i think her panic makes it worse.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has the Husky been eating and drinking normally? Have you taken her temperature?
Customer: She eat and drinks water extremely well. She had no change in behavior either and is normally back to playing and running right after a attack most the time.
JA: In addition to the congestion, has the Husky been licking or scratching her skin?
Customer: No she’s not really one to scratch more then occasionally
JA: And what's the Husky's name and age?
Customer: Nezi she’s 7 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, I have only been trying to find answers online about this issues and came across this site.
Answered by Dr. Pizzillo in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Pizzillo
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello! I am Dr. Pizzillo a licensed veterinarian with 12 years of experience in small animal medicine. I am here to answer your questions to the best of my ability, but would like to let you know that I can only provide general advice. I am not legally allowed to make a diagnosis or prescribe medication without a doctor-patient relationship. Based on the information you provide, I can help determine what the most common causes of your pets symptoms are and help you understand what test and treatments to expect for different conditions.  Please allow me a few minutes to review the information provided.

I am sorry to hear that Nezi is having problems with reverse sneezing. Sometimes it can be triggered by allergies and antihistamines may help. Benadryl is available over the counter is normally well toelrated in most patients. It can be administered at a dose of 1mg per pound stwice daily.

Customer
it might just be allergies. I've had dogs do it from time to time but not so often so I wasn't sure.

Yes, anything that causes nasopharyngeal irritation can trigger it. Some dogs it can be secondary to their anatomy, but often if it gets acutely worse, it is due to allergies or some other cause of irritation.

Rarely, I have dogs that will get really bad irritation and be having numerous episodes per hour. Those dogs normally respond to a course of steroids. However, if it is worse, but not really bad, I always have my clients try Benadryl first.

So if there is no response with the Benadryl,  then she may need to be seen by the vet.

I hope that helps and that Nezi is feeling better soon. Do you have any additional questions?

If you have any additional concerns or need any clarification, please reach out to me.

Customer
That's it, sounds good thanks. if it gets to bad I'll take her into a 24 hour vet service. I just wanted to see if I could do anything to help myself fist. since at the last vet visit the vet said it didn't seem like I needed to worry about but they have gotten worse.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Pizzillo
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Pizzillo
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.