My dog is lethargic after I caught him rubbing on a fire ant mound after I poisoned it. No vomiting. He didn’t want his

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My dog is lethargic after I caught him rubbing on a fire ant mound after I poisoned it
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has the dog vomited since he ingested the poison?
Customer: No vomiting. He didn’t want his treats this morning tho. Not sure if he ingested it.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He’s an 8 mo old chiweenie at 10 pounds
Answered by Dr. Scott in 1 min 1 year ago
imglogo
20+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello there! Which product did you use on the ant mound?

Customer
Let me check
Customer
Ortho Fire Ant killer

Ok. Give me a minute to look at the MSDS>

Customer
Customer attachment 10/25/2021 1:57:09 PM
Customer
I gave him a bath after I found him rolling in it

Did you see any drooling or twitching?

Customer
No. He's just really sleepy today and not as energetic as usual. It was yesterday when he rolled in it and I bathed him right after.
Customer
Then he turned down his treats this morning
Customer
He likes to rub and roll in things he finds interesting. I got him as soon as he did. He's a fast little buger.

That chemical used in the ant bait is a new version of an old product. It is common in many insecticides. Commonly used in old Hartz flea products. The main serious side effects are seizures and tremors. Severe cases are put on IV fluids to flush the bloodstream of the toxins. If there has been no vomiting or diarrhea I would just monitor him today. The effects of the chemicals can take several hours to days to clear the system.

Customer
Ok thank you so much. I'm a little worried about him since he's usually extremely energetic. As far as I know that's all he could have gotten into. I was right there when it happened and bathed him right afterwards.

Bathing was definitely the best thing to do. You would have seen more serious symptoms by now if a toxic dose got into his system.

Customer
Ok, thanks. I was worried about it soaking through his skin.

It can definitely get into the body that way. We most commonly see cases when old dog flea treatments are put on cats. The cats come in drooling and twitching severely within a few hours of application. The first thing we do is bathe them.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
logo
logo
logo
20+ years of experience
imglogo
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.