Y dog has kennel cough but I’m not certain because when she coughs sometimes there’s bile that comes up too is this

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: y dog has kennel cough but I’m not certain because when she coughs sometimes there’s bile that comes up too is this normal? Or am I wrong with what I think she has. I thought at first she has something stuck in her throat but she’s eating normal and playing just gets these coughing fits followed by clear foamy bile
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you spoken to a vet about kennel cough yet? How long has this been going on with the dog?
Customer: Well I tried calling a vet by I just moved to my area and no one is taking new patients I would have to drive a minimum 2 hours to a emergency
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Luna she is 3 years old. And this started Saturday afternoon
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no she a hearty dog with all her shots up to date so this surprised me
Answered by retnev in 20 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
retnev
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Welcome, my name is***** am a BVSc-graduate of Vet School, with 15 years experience of Medicine and Surgery. It is my privilege to attend to your question about Luna shortly.

• Yes, the symptoms you describe could well be kennel cough. It is often described as a "retching cough". Dogs keep coughing and can make themselves nauseous after a while, so it is quite possible that bile may be vomited. As you also describe, it can sound like there is something stuck in the throat.

• I normally like to put these dogs onto a course of aspirin for a short course of 5 days. The dose is 3 mg/lb. It can be given twice a day with food (not on an empty stomach).

• Salmon oil is also handy for a cough. For a medium size dog, a teaspoon of the oil can be given twice a day.  The salmon oil is rich in Omega-3's and will have an anti-inflammatory effect.

Customer
Ok and how long should this last

Thanks, ***** ***** 10 days.

Customer
Thank you

You are most welcome and all the best with Luna.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
retnev
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
retnev
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.