He’s been coughing like a cat trying to expel a hair ball and I found a hairball that was matted and moist once after

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: He’s been coughing like a cat trying to expel a hair ball and I found a hairball that was matted and moist once after this. Also he has had kennel cough vaccine and has not been around other dogs. I told vet at last visit. She listened to heart and lungs. It’s been going on for months
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How is the dog's breathing? Is it any louder, slower, or faster than normal?
Customer: Normal
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Snowy maybe 12 -14 (he is a puppy mill rescue) I’ve had him 7 years
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: his eyes are runny too. My vet gave me eye drops
Answered by Dr. Jen, DVM in 8 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Jen, DVM
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi this is Dr. Jen. I am sorry to hear that Snowy has been having issues. It is common for the lungs to sound normal even if there is something going on. snowy needs chest X-rays to really get a better sense of what is going on to cause the cough. There is a condition similar to COPD in people that we see in older dogs. The other likely possibility would be some sort of allergic airway disease. Both of these conditions are treatable, but a chest X-ray really is your next step.

Customer
Ok thank you. He did cough up a large hair ball at one point
Customer
It was the size of a croissant

I think that might have been coincidental honestly.

Customer
Ok thank you

You’re very welcome.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Jen, DVM
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Jen, DVM
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.