My dog swallowed a huge bone, he had already vomited most of it however there are some left in his stomach.. what should

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my dog swallowed a huge bone, he had already vomited most of it however there are some left in his stomach.. what should I do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much does the dog weigh?
Customer: 2.6kg
JA: How long has it been since he threw up?
Customer: about 2 hrs..
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: toffee, going 3mos..
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: he is fully vaccinated and is schedule to have his rabies vaccine tomorrow..
Answered by Dr. Loretta in 6 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Dr. Loretta
25+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Customer
does my dog need surgery just to get the bone out of his stomach?

Good morning! I am so sorry that Toffee had ingested this bone. There is a chance that he may need to have this bone removed surgically but for now, if he is not showing any signs of an intestinal obstruction, it is best to have your veterinarian examine him and make that determination. Since he had vomited up most of the bone in pieces, there is a chance that he can pass the remainder of these pieces. Let me know if he is acting like he is in pain but for now, wait until your veterinary visit tomorrow to see if any treatment is needed.

Does that make sense to you?

Customer
can you recommend any medication that can help him vomit the rest of the bone or help digest the bone in his stomach?

There is a 2 hr window to remove anything that is in his stomach so I am not sure that it had not already been absorbed by the intestinal tract. Give Toffee 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide...wait 15 minutes and if he does not throw this up, do it again. Since he had already thrown up, there may not be anything else in his stomach and all you can do is wait and see....your veterinarian can run an X-ray tomorrow to see where this bone is.

Customer
will do that then..thank you so much..
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Loretta
logo
logo
logo
25+ years of experience
imglogo
Dr. Loretta
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.