I took the top paper safety cover off my hair color developer and my puppy put it in her mouth. It had a very small

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi. I took the top paper safety cover off my hair color developer and my puppy put it in her mouth. It had a very small mount of developer on it. E Salon developer
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this? Has the puppy been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: No
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Aoife
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I can tell you the ingredients of the developer if you need, but I will refrain until asked for that. Thank you.
Answered by Dr Scott Nimmo in 5 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** have more than thirty years of experience in the veterinary field. I’m happy to help with your question today. But please bear with me if I need to ask you some clarifying questions first. Thank you!

Customer
Hi. Thank you. Ask away

However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

2. How much does Aoife weigh { In pounds }?

Customer
This happened about 10 min ago
Customer
Weight....
Customer
21 lbs

Got it thanks, ***** ***** by, I am typing up your answer right now.

My aim is to get an initial answer back to you within the next ten minutes.

But in the meantime I would like you to thooroghly risnse out your pup's mouth with luke warm water.

Customer
How do you do that?
Customer
Going to do that tnow

Just put the water in a large soup spoon or similar and dribble it gently into the side of her mouth.

Do this quite a few times.

Customer
I used a sprayer on the sink and did it about 5 or 6 times

I'm sorry to hear about Aoife's problem, I know that you must be very concerned. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly for you.
I am glad to say that this incident should not be too harmful to Aoife, as in the past I have dealt with quite a few incidents where dogs have ingested hair coloring products. Given this was a very small amount that your pup got hold of I doubt if this is going to have any adverse side effects. So the chances are that Aoife will be OK.
That said, it is possible that Aoife might perhaps suffer a mild transient bout of vomiting or diarrhea over the next 24 hours or so. This can happen when a dog suddenly eats anything unusual or unaccustomed. But, should this occur it is not likely to be serious and will normally just pass on its own.
Given the above, all you need to do is to keep an eye on Aoife for now, but I will give you a home remedy treatment plan to use should she suffer a mild bout of gastroenteritis. { She may well not }
Treatment Plan.
1. Pepcid which is an over-the-counter " human " drug can be useful to treat dogs suffering from gastroenteritis. Here is a link to a web page that has all the information you might need including dose rates and contraindications: https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/famotidine-pepcid-for-dogs/
2. In simple cases, controlling the dog's diet alone can often resolve things. The basis of this is to give her intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function.
A. Starve Aoife for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water. If she is not drinking then you may want to give small amounts of water on the hour with a dropper or syringe.
B. The next day, feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled eggs, etc. with a little rice.
C. If Aoife picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days
3. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore balance. You do not need to give much, a teaspoon twice a day is fine for small dogs ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for larger dogs.
Alternatively consider a probiotic such as Forti Flora which can be purchased at many pet/grain stores or online.
But I have to really stress this last part. Do not take risks, if things do not quickly resolve or if Aoife deteriorates in any significant way then you should have a local vet check her over as soon as possible.
But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Aoife's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.
Regards,
Have I answered your question to your satisfaction? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Thank you for using our site.

Well done on the sink sprayer, that sounds fine ...

Customer
Thank you so much. Yes. This is very helpful. The only questions I have about the diet plan is that Aoife is only 21 weeks old. I have heard you should never do a starvation diet for a puppy. Is that not true in this case?

There is a very good chance that this will not be necessary but where toxins are concerned a 24-hour withdrawal of food could be beneficial. At 21 weeks of age, this should be no problem.

Regards,

Customer
But we should only do that if she has gastroenteritus, correct? Thank you so much for your help, and you have answered to my satisfaction.

No problem, only start the sort of home remedies which I have outlined if any adverse symptoms occur such as vomiting or diarrhea occur, hopefully, this will not occur though.

Regards,

Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Aoife is getting on?
Regards,

Customer
She's been just fine. Thank you so much for checking!
Amy

That's great to hear, and thank you for visiting JustAnswer, I hope you are happy with our service. But please let me know if you still need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions related to your current issue - I am always happy to help.
Kindest regards,

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.