My puppy is a mastiff pit mix and she has a bald spot on the side of her cheek. i’m nervous it could be ring worm. It’s

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my puppy is a bull mastiff pit bull mix and she has a bald spot on the side of her cheek. i’m nervous it could be ring worm
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the ringworm? Has the Pit Bull been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: it’s on her cheek so she can’t rub it and i don’t see her itch it very often. i noticed the spot about a week ago but it hasn’t gone away. there is a very distinct hair in it that looks like it could be an ingrown hair or a whisker as well. i’m not sure
JA: What's the Pit Bull's name?
Customer: huxley
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i rescued her from a shelter 6 months ago
Answered by Dr. Michael Salkin in 6 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
48+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Can you upload photos of representative skin to our conversation? You can upload photos by texting them, or by using the paperclip or add file icons above your message box...if you can see those icons on your device.  You can also use an external app such as dropbox or navigate to justanswer.com/help/using-justanswer and scroll down to "other".

Customer
they are sending

I'll watch for your next post.

Customer
Customer attachment 10/25/2021 3:18:41 AM
Customer
Customer attachment 10/25/2021 3:18:50 AM
Customer
Customer attachment 10/25/2021 3:19:14 AM
Customer
those are my pictures

Although ringworm is possible, demodectic mange ("red mange") is more likely.  Have Huxley's vet skin scrape the periphery of the alopecia looking for the mange mite.  If found, no treatment may be needed as we expect juvenile demodicosis to go into remission within a few months unaided.  If you prefer, one of the new oral isoxazole insecticides such as Bravecto, Nexgard, Simparica, or Credelio can be prescribed and will hasten resolution of the mange.

Her vet may elect to fungal culture hairs at the periphery of the alopecia and that's certainly a reasonable diagnostic if skin scrapings are negative for the mite.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer
i don't necessarily understand what those things mean can u explain in an easier way?

I believe that the skin lesion is due to a parasitic mite called Demodex.

The principle differential is ringworm which is actually a fungal infection.

Her vet can clarify which is present by simple testing in the form of skin scrapings and fungal culture of hairs.

Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Customer
alright! thank you! i will call tomorrow!

You're quite welcome.  I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
logo
logo
logo
48+ years of experience
imglogo
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.