I had some ortho home defense bug spray in a spray bottle and my son accidentally got it and sprayed my 2 dogs and 1 cat

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I had some ortho home defense bug spray in a spray bottle and my son accidentally got it and sprayed my 2 dogs and 1 cat with it I’m sure they licked it as well. One dog is a morkie 3 lbs the other is a chihuahua 3 lbs and the cat is about 15 lbs will it hurt them and what do i need to do i gave the dogs a bath already
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When was this? Has the dog thrown up since having the bug?
Customer: about 30 minutes ago and yes the morkie threw up not long after and the chihuahua is just threw up for the second time
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: The morkie is baby girl she is 3 yrs old and the chihuahua is Bambi she is 6-7 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no that’s it
Answered by BeverlyC1016 in 2 mins 1 year ago
imglogo
BeverlyC1016
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. This is Dr Beverly Chevallier, and I would like to help you with your dog today. I am sorry you are having concerns with your son spraying the dogs and cat with bug spray.

That can be very dangerous to your dogs and especially the cat.  Has the cat thrown up?

We act in an advisory capacity only and are unable to physically examine your animal and are only able to give you advice.

I have been a practicing veterinarian for awhile, and I would like to try to help you. First, I need some information. Provide as many details as possible about your situation and I will be glad to try to help.

Where do you live and what is the weather like there? That could be important. (And I’m very curious to know where you live and what your weather is like there, too…)

Unfortunately, we are unable to prescribe medications on this site, but we can offer alternatives to prescription products and we can help you find them in the stores near you.

This is not a full service veterinary service, so we are not able to physically examine your animal, but you can send pictures and videos and they are immensely helpful with our diagnoses and will greatly aid in the accurate advice we give to you about your animal.

Just Answer will ask you if you want a phone call.  You are under no obligation to accept that.  I will be glad to talk to you on the phone if you prefer, but I will also be glad to keep chatting via text.

Your question does not have a time stamp on it and I apologize ahead of time if your question has not been answered in a timely manner.

The more information I have, the more likely I will be able to assist you.

Thank you.

Dr Beverly Chevallier

Customer
No the cat hasn’t thrown up yet but he seem like he is fine he’s playing at the moment

If the dogs keep throwing up, they need to be taken to the vet for an antidote to the pesticide.  The can should be carefully watched and if it shows any abnormal signs (vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, seizures) it will need to be taken to the ER tonight.

Customer
I live in Mississippi and the temperature is 68 tonight

I'm in NW Arkansas and we are expecting storms tonight.

Customer
i will definitely be watching them. My dogs are still playful it’s like they are swallowing hard not necessarily like breathing problems but like there throats and tongues are raw

Yes, just watch them for vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, staggering, trembling, ataxia, seizures.

Customer
Ok i will

Please keep me updated.

If I can ever help you with any of your animals, please just text me back here and I will get the message much faster than if you post it on the site.  I will help you all I can.

Thank you,

Dr Beverly

Customer
My cat just throwers up

Keep a close eye on the cat.

Did you bathe the cat, too?

Customer
Throwed up
Customer
No i didn’t know if i needed to because he is scared of water

You need to especially bathe him.  That insecticide can kill him.

Customer
I just gave him a bath

Good.  Just continue to watch all of them and if they get sicker, take them to the ER.

Customer
ma’am i will my dogs seem a little better right now

Oh, that is good.

Customer
My chihuahua is drooling is that normal

That could be an indication of pesticide toxicity.

Customer
does she need to go to the vet ?? She hasn’t thrown up anymore as of yet she is playful she drank a little water and is back to being herself except for the drooling as of right now

The drooling isn't too bad.  But if she starts having tremors or seizures she will need to go.

Customer
Ok I’m sorry i message so much i just love my babies and don’t want nothing to happen to them
Customer
You said y’all are expecting storms i hope they aren’t to bad

I know you love your animals.  I love mine, too.

Thank you.

Customer
It’s been almost 2 hours do you think they are in the clear of having any bad side affects or how many hours can it last it happened around 7:30-8:00
Customer
My chihuahua is still drooling but that is the only symptom and the rest are back to normal so far

They will probably all be ok now.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
BeverlyC1016
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
BeverlyC1016
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.